"Dali, Yunnan Province" Dali by bellatrix
Dali Travel Guide: 224 reviews and 729 photos
Crisscrossed by a network of gurgling streams, Dali is renowned for the distinctive and elegant architectural style of the Bai people, who are still the largest population group on this former capital of the Nanchao Kingdom. Dali is the largest trading center and a major transportation hub in western Yunnan Province, and is well known for its batik handicrafts and high quality marble.
The layout of the ancient city resembles a chessboard. There are five streets stretching from south to north, and 8 lanes from east to west, all paved with blue slabstones. Along them are the typical houses of the Bais which have stone walls and dark blue tile roofs. The brooks from the Cangshan Mountain flow through the streets and lanes around the city into the Erhai Lake.
Inside the city, there are many historical relics and places of interest such as "the Forbidden City" which served as the headquarters of Du Wen xiu Uprising (1856), the anciet Yuxi School and "Foreigners Street" in Huguo Street. Along this street lie many tea houses, antique shops, Chinese and Western restaurants, and the ancient buildings are found here and there. Tourists at home and abroad have been attracted to visit Dali. The ancient architectural beauties, rich minority customs and picturesque scenery are the main attractions of Dali.
One thing to bear in mind when traveling here, is that the Dali that travelers arrive in from Kunming is not the same... more travel advice
The Erhai Lake, known as Yeyuze or Kunming Lake in ancient times, is named after its ear-like shape. It is a fresh water... more travel advice
bellatrix's Related Pages
Dali Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Old Dali"
- "A great surprise"
- "Mountains, Lake, and Buddhist Monasteries"
- "Clean your shoes, Sir?"
- "Dali, Yunnan"
- "Dali Old Town and The Three Pagodas"
- "Live life in Dali"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dali
- Hotels in Dali
- Transportation in Dali
- Nightlife in Dali
- Restaurants in Dali
- Shopping in Dali
- Warnings and Dangers in Dali
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dali
- 4 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Dali?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dali
Photos in DaliSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Antigua Guatemala Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Songpan Intro, 4 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dubai Intro, 6 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 13 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chengdu Intro, 7 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- China Intro, 9 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Shanghai Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Joshua Tree Intro, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Juneau Intro, 11 reviews, 11 photos