"Songpan" Top 5 Page for this destination Songpan by bellatrix

Songpan Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 157 photos

From my travelogues

I got to Songpan last night and am spending the day adjusting to the altitude (we climbed about 2000 meters from Chengdu!) before the horse trek tomorrow. Songpan is a great town; for the first time I really, really feel like I'm in China! Before now I've always been in cities, and this feels more like a village, undeniably China! The bus ride through the countryside from Chengdu was marvelous, we climbed high into green and jagged mountains and stopped at interesting little roadside villages, which had food and Tibetan style stuff for sale... I even saw a couple of guys walking around with yaks! I can't wait to get my photos online! The scenery around this area is spectacular.

Songpan is a lively, bustling place with Tibetan style clothes and goods for sale in the markets.. people's style of clothing is very different here, much more colorful! There are emerald terraced hills surrounding the city, and the city itself has lots of wooden houses with tiled roofs... makes for very interesting views! In addition, Songpan still has remnants of its history as a walled city - there are tunnels which can be gated on either side of the town, with lookout pagoda-style buildings on top. It is so neat!!!

Tomorrow me and a group of travelers will go on a 4 day guided horse trek to Ice Mountain. We will camp along the way, and have an opportunity to hike to the top of the mountain by foot once we get to the basecamp. The guides take care of all our camping equipment and food (as well as the horses), and all this costs around $8 a day!! Amazing! I am so excited, I think this is going to be a very memorable experience!!

• Last visit to Songpan: May 2002
  • Intro Written Mar 28, 2003

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2006 at 9:38 AM

Good tips and breathtaking photos of songpan and surroundings! A lot of people only go to jiuzhaigou and they are missing out on other aspects :)

• kinaly's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2005 at 9:29 AM

I will visit Songpan next week but I had no idea on what it looked like...thank you for your wonderful pictures...I feel I already want to be there. Happy new year

• DrewV's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2003 at 2:45 PM

Terrific travelogues! This is exactly what VT is all about! Sounds like an incredible trip and a magnificent way to experience China.

• Confucius's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2003 at 9:41 PM

Songpan now appears in the destinations database. You might want to move your pages there. Your Songpan horse trek tips are worth 6 stars.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2003 at 3:35 PM

an excellent page with brilliant pics ! - and the very best part is in the travelogues ! excellent work, Jenn !

• Velocity's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2003 at 6:40 AM

Interesting page...very beautiful pictures! Well done!

• Mar 31, 2003 at 6:01 AM

Great page, too bad I can't rate travelogues! :-)

• manoj252's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2003 at 3:00 AM

looks amazing! four days on horseback!

bellatrix

“If you aren`t living on the edge you`re just wasting space.”

Badges & Stats in Songpan

Have you been to Songpan?