"Mashallah" Iran by Romanian_Bat

Iran Travel Guide: 2,871 reviews and 10,238 photos

Noise and Silence

Iran remains for me the most interesting (I do not know whether this is the right term) and moving experience from all countries I have visited so far.

The Bazaar, a word we are so used to and which we automatically link with an open air market or with the "famous" Egyptian Bazaar in Istanbul, was born in actual Iran. The term describes, beyond the trading issue, a whole physical and spiritual structure, where whole cities were raised as bazaars, with chaharsuqs, rastes, dehlizes, caravanarais, qaisariyas, timces, hojres gathered in a web-like structure. The bazaar is therefore more than a market issue, it is a life approach.

Bustling cities hide, just behind a dry mud wall, incredibly beautiful jewels of design, architecture and craftmanship. Just 10 meters from the crowded and so overwhelming bazaar, there is a quiet oasis of pious reflection and meditation, an emotion which I personally appreciated there more than I was allowed to (yes, this is the word) in Europe.

Curiosity and Smile

Iranians are some of the most hospitable people I have ever met. Loud, inquisitive, warm, curious, friendly, always willing to help the obvious stranger... It did not happen only once that I asked for directions to a certain mosque and I ended with a tailor-made minitour of the area, the price of which was just a smile. As I also wrote in the travelogue, together with countries like Syria, Iran is a place where the "Hello sir, how are you?" is real and not a formality leading somewhere involving money.

Desert and Oasis

The road is sometimes just as fascinating as the destination is. The dry scenery, the road and the desire of an oasis somewhere in the end of the day, are the only issues one can feel and is concerned about. The drought, the hot summer wind, as well as the desert city structure leave way to imagination in a way I could not think before going to this country. A car is no longer a mere car, an old Talbot, it provides the certainty of reaching the oasis, it is the light brown camel and the black Arabian horse from Sheherezada's tales.

Find more details on the trip I made there in my Iran travelogue.

• Pros:Stunning natural and anthropic scenery
  • In a nutshell:A unique, impossibly to simply pass through country
  • Last visit to Iran: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Dec 9, 2005

• mingul's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2008 at 3:13 PM

Much respect for your travel destinations. Although not a hiking fan at all, your range of visited countries is absolutely amazing.

• josephescu's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2006 at 2:56 AM

Most fascinating. Now i'm convinced once again i really need to put plans into practice and go there myself.

• codrutz's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2006 at 3:10 AM

man, your travelogue about Iran hiking is absolutely fantastic .. it is a novel :) I have finished just the 1st section, but I am looking forward to the next :)

• MadKiwiBeast's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2005 at 8:46 AM

Your travelogue is perfect!! So informative, just what I've been looking for as I hope to be in Romania for the summer and then travel thru Bulgaria and Turkey to Iran, you have been so helpful, Thank you

• aliamiri's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2004 at 7:49 AM

Alexandru, I really enjoyed reading your Travelogues! somehow heartful and sentimental. It's good the you've liked my country. Anyhow don't you have more photos of your trip?

Romanian_Bat

“Happiness is about a night train and a stranger to talk to.”

Badges & Stats in Iran