"A Thrill, a Challenge, a Laughter" Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest by Romanian_Bat
Bucharest Travel Guide: 1,681 reviews and 4,448 photos
There are many contradictory statements when it comes to Bucharest: stray dogs, "le Petit Paris", the world's second biggest building, the Gypsies, the Village Museum, the Balkanic air... Maybe a best way of defining Bucharest would be "city of the contrasts". Bucharest cannot be put in the books as a tourist attraction, because its look and its sometimes dizzy nature are proofs enough to demonstrate this: this city has not been conceived for tourists, but rather for its inhabitants... Furthermore, it is not convenient, as it did not develop in a place where "convenience" has ever had any sense.
I love Bucharest with its small, old times' houses and fine, secluded, small and unadvertised museums and churches (have you ever heard of Casa Melic or of Casa Zambaccian, what about Antim or Radu Voda monasteries, not to mention Darvari Convent?), I enjoy grabbing some of that great pastry (I mean real pastry and not the Fornetti crap) in the street or having some tripe soup at La Berbecu'.
I hate Bucharest at times with its desperate, brainless drivers that only respect the one next to them when they fear that by hitting him/her, they would scratch their shiny metal boxes. I like it generally speaking, because it has a bad reputation (and it is not likely to turn into any sort of mass tourism destination during my lifetime, thank Nanak for that), and yes, because this is not a place where one can get bored. Ever.
Then, to the good, bad and definitely to the challenge of it, this is what I call "home". As someone once said, the greatest insanity is getting out of the house in the morning. Once one dares do that, figuring out the life details is a piece of cake. As always, walk along anything but straight paths and ride horse-pulled carts, not cars!
- Pros:Diverse heritage, great pastry and fine hidden places
- Cons:The rush
- In a nutshell:One can never get bored here
Located well off the beaten path, in Piata Traian area, in a neighbourhood of greatly restored Old Bucharest houses, the... more travel advice
This church lies in a green, relatively quiet area of the "Domenii", close to the Arch of Triumph. It is one of the... more travel advice
- See All The Best Conference Area in Town
- See All Different rooms and mixed crowds
- See All Old Books, Music and Art
- See All The Bucharest Driver (TM) - Lawless...
- See All Cycling through Bucharest
Romanian_Bat's Related Pages
Bucharest Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Thrill, a Challenge, a Laughter"
- "About my homecity - Bucharest"
- "Bucharest, Romania"
- "I learned to love it"
- "Bucharest / Bucureşti"
- "Bucharest - Trapped Between Past And Future"
- "Bucharest-1st stop on a Romania tour"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bucharest
- Hotels in Bucharest
- Transportation in Bucharest
- Nightlife in Bucharest
- Restaurants in Bucharest
- Shopping in Bucharest
- Warnings and Dangers in Bucharest
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bucharest
- 194 Reviews
- 659 Photos
- 108 Forum posts
- 54 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Bucharest?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bucharest
Photos in BucharestSee All Photos (659)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 194 reviews, 659 photos, 4 travelogues
- Romania Intro, 64 reviews, 83 photos, 3 travelogues
- Former Republic of Serbia and Montenegro Intro, 1 review, 31 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ukraine Intro, 30 photos, 4 travelogues
- India Intro, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bulgaria Intro, 23 photos, 4 travelogues
- Iran Intro, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
- Moldova Intro, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Turkmenistan Intro, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 14 photos, 2 travelogues