"A View from the Bridge" Bosnia and Herzegovina by Romanian_Bat
Bosnia and Herzegovina Travel Guide: 3,212 reviews and 8,646 photos
The first thing that comes to one's mind when thinking about Bosnia and Herzegovina is the war, scattered images from TV reports and newspaper tabloids. When visiting or simply crossing the country it is impossible not to see reminders of this war, a war where different nations fought for the truth that belonged to different periods of time, while the rest of the world sat down in an armchair and watched from a safe distance.
One has to go backwards in order to discover this country. Back to the 14th - 15th century, back to stone bridges built under the Turkish rule, back to the origins of the mixture of nations, faiths, traditions and habits Bosnia and Hercegovina are about nowadays. One has to step on the stones Ivo Andric turned into such beautiful novels and short stories, one has to stop in the middle of Sarajevo and have a look at the different styles buildings were set in, one has to cross the city from the central bus station to the one in Lunkavica (those that went to Sarajevo after the war know what I mean); these are just a few means of getting close to the maybe not so comfy, but real life experience this country is about.
A noisy laughter, a mocking remark, some sad reference to a certain period of the past when things were so much better, a slice of the best burek sa mesom and a sip of rakija... Attempts to describe a way of approaching life, attempts which fade away in front of one of Zdravko Colic's or Dino Merlin's superb songs... The latter's "Supermen" just comes to my mind now.
- Pros:A mixture of nations and traditions that cannot leave anyone indifferent.
- In a nutshell:A country one feels more than he/she sees.
Romanian_Bat's Related Pages
Bosnia and Herzegovina Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "90 days at a time"
- "The Bosnian Identity"
- "A beautiful country with a sad history"
- "A blissful week in Bosnia and Herzegowina !"
- "BOSANSKI SEVDAH"
- "Bosnia and Herzegovina . . . as I remember it"
- "Little about Herzegovina"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Hotels in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Transportation in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Nightlife in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Restaurants in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Shopping in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Warnings and Dangers in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 0 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Bosnia and Herzegovina?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bosnia and Herzegovina
Photos in Bosnia and HerzegovinaSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 194 reviews, 659 photos, 4 travelogues
- Romania Intro, 64 reviews, 83 photos, 3 travelogues
- Former Republic of Serbia and Montenegro Intro, 1 review, 31 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ukraine Intro, 30 photos, 4 travelogues
- India Intro, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bulgaria Intro, 23 photos, 4 travelogues
- Iran Intro, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
- Moldova Intro, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Turkmenistan Intro, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 14 photos, 2 travelogues
Top Bosnia and Herzegovina hotels
- Sarajevo Hotels
- 1171 Reviews - 3025 Photos
- Mostar Hotels
- 636 Reviews - 1701 Photos
- Banja Luka Hotels
- 175 Reviews - 325 Photos
- Velika Kladusa Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Jahorina Hotels
- 56 Reviews - 133 Photos
- Tuzla Hotels
- 54 Reviews - 73 Photos
- Bihac Hotels
- 48 Reviews - 134 Photos
- Trebinje Hotels
- 41 Reviews - 189 Photos
- Neum Hotels
- 12 Reviews - 71 Photos
- Bijeljina Hotels
- 39 Reviews - 162 Photos
- Zavidovici Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 24 Photos
- Visoko Hotels
- 26 Reviews - 29 Photos
- Stolac Hotels
- 20 Reviews - 28 Photos
- Sokolac Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Pale Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 14 Photos