"Jamhuri ya Kenya" Top 5 Page for this destination Kenya by croisbeauty
Kenya Travel Guide: 4,417 reviews and 11,923 photos
The first expression I've learned in Kswahili was "pole pole", which means slowly, don't rush, take it easy. The second one was "hakuna matata", which means no problem at all. I could use thousands of words in order to describe what is local mentalithy but nothing like this two expressions can do it better. Kenyans, in generally, are nice and friendly people who wont miss welcoming you by a big smile and inevitable "jambo".
Kenya is beautiful but very poor country, first it was colonized by the whites, nowadays it is colonized by the Kenyans themselves. Fact is, local politicians use the same system which was used under the British rule of Kenya. Corruption is the major problem in the country and it can be noticed virtualy everywhere. Money talks in every step you do around, all you need is to negotiate the price. Take your time, doing it pole pole, and at the end you'll be awarded. I like bargainings and am doing it very well, but in Kenya I never knew was I good in it or not.
Kenyans are very friendly and joyfull, no matter if rich or poor. Most of them like to meet people from abroad and curious to learn about other cultures and people. Accept them in a good will and with the open heart, as I did, and you might be lucky to get devoted friends.
TO BE CONTINUED
I haven't seen much of industry around, however, Kenya has very huge potentials in tourism. The coastline is long offering very beautiful sandy beaches, there are number of wide world famous Safari Parks all over the country but still, something is missing here. Corruption is major problem in this country and it can be noticed virtually everywhere.
Most of the hotel resorts belongs to greedy Europeans who are not very talented for business. In fact, they care for one thing only, how to take money out of Kenya. I'll surely revisit Kenya, probably next year, but will never again stay in any hotel which belongs to the major ...... company.
There are many faces of Kenya but poverty is probably the one which determine the great majority of its inhabitants. Many people live in very bad conditions deprived of everything what life makes dignified. Never before in any other country I saw so many slums or villages without basic needs like runing water, electricity or gas. And yet, most of the people is very friendly, helpfull and easy in mind.
There are, however, 42 different tribes in Kenya like Kikuyu, Luo, Luhya, Kamba, Maasai, Taita, Giriama, Kalenjins, Turkana, Meru, Embu..., but all or most of them have Bantu origins.
Maasais still live according to their traditions, same as Turkanas and Pokots, therefore they have certain problems regarding dovetailing in the Kenyan society. In spite of the fact they are recognized as a symbol of Kenya, Maasai people feel like being discriminated. There excists also a very huge rivarly between the two major tribes, Kikuyus and Luos, which ended with long lasting riots after the elections in the beginnings of 2008. It costed Kenya very dearly and the face of the country has changed, especially in the provinces of Rift Valley and Nyanza.
- Pros:local people, in a first place, very friendly and joyfull
- Cons:prices for the hotels and safaris, too exaggerated and far from reality
"Big Five" is the terminology that is used by hunters when listed species that are most difficult to catch, this name... more travel advice
Many Westerners completely unfounded underestimate the risk of malaria, which is in their countries eradicated long ago,... more travel advice
- See All Knowledge of the country, people and...
- See All traditional Maasai handicrafts
- See All Hotel prices
- See All When in Mombasa
- Kenyan cuisine
croisbeauty's Related Pages
Kenya Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Jamhuri ya Kenya"
- "Mombasa & once around the National Parks"
- ""YOUR @SS is GRASS!:"
- "Working in Kenia"
- "KENYA, JAMBO"
- "hakuna matata - no problem"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kenya
- Hotels in Kenya
- Transportation in Kenya
- Nightlife in Kenya
- Restaurants in Kenya
- Shopping in Kenya
- Warnings and Dangers in Kenya
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kenya
- 358 Reviews
- 1,605 Photos
- 165 Forum posts
- 8 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (251)
Have you been to Kenya?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kenya
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 268 reviews, 1232 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 244 reviews, 987 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 200 reviews, 708 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 157 reviews, 609 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 141 reviews, 493 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 132 reviews, 501 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 120 reviews, 425 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 137 reviews, 408 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 105 reviews, 395 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 95 reviews, 394 photos