Piran Things to Do Tips by croisbeauty Top 5 Page for this destination
Piran Things to Do: 260 reviews and 445 photos
The Church of St. Mary the Comforter
The small church of St. Mary the Comforter is situated in the upper part of the town, just a foot from the remnants of the city walls and the cathedral. The admission to the church interiors is not allowed, at least it wasn't when I visited it. It seems to me that the church belongs to the Order of Clarissas.
Directions: just a foot from the cathedral
The Theatre G. Tartini
The Theatre is situated right in the Port of Piran. It was opened in the year 1910, according to the designs of Gioacchino Grassi and Giacomo Zamatti.
The lobby and the theatre hall are adorned by wall paintings representing Greek goddesses, flowers and alike.
Next to the theatre stands a good local restaurant and cafe-bar where you can spend you time before and after the show.
Directions: the seaport of the town
The Franciscan Monastery
The Franciscan's monastery is located next to the St. Francis Church. On this picture you can see gracefully designed atrium, the Cloister, which represents one of the best Cloister atrium designs in the Coastal Area o Slovenia. Leading to the Cloister there is a half-arched portal adorbed with richly carved columns.
The Pinacoteque of the monastery contains a beautiful collection of fourteen high quality paintings, painted mainly by the..
Address: Bolnicka ulica
The Church of St. Francis
The St. Francis Church was erected in 1301, but later on it was restorated in several occasions. Most of the present look of its interiors, dates from the 17th century, while the extriors dates from 19th century.
The most important painting, "Mary with all the Saints" by Vittore Carpaccio from the yera 1518, which adorned aedicula until 1940, was transferred to Italy in 1940. The church houses its authentic gallery of paintings from the 17th and 18th century.
Address: Bolnicka ulica
Directions: right above the Venetian House, in the small narow street which leads to the Cathedral
The Church of St. Mary of Health
See the small and beautiful church of St. Mary of Health which is situated right in the front of the lighthouse Punta.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find any useful informations regarding the date of built and consacration. According to the look of its facade, which is very simple made, it might be designed in the Romanesque style.
Address: Cape Modona
The Church of St. Peter
The original church of St. Peter, from 1272, used to stand outside the city walls. The architect Pietro Nobile gave it its present look in the year 1818. The whole composition of thr church and the facade express pure classicism. Above the entrance of the church there is a relief made by sculptor Antonio Bossi, which represents the handing over the keys to St. Peter.
Address: Tartinijev trg
Directions: the very heart of the town
The statue of G. Tartini
The Main Square of the town, which is also starting point of the city tour, was named after Giuseppe Tartini, a famous composer and violinist who was born in the town of Piran. His statue stands in the central position of the square.
Address: Tartinijev trg
There is a nice walking path just, behind the Pier, which leads you alongside of break-water, where the number of restaurants are situated, up to the lighthouse Punta situated on cape Madona. In the front side of the lighthouse, there is a small and beautiful chapel.
Address: Cape Madona
The Maritime Museum
The seat of the muesum is in the imposing classical palace Gabrielli by the harbour on the Cankarjevo nabre?je 3. The museum collects, studies and presents the maritime past of the coastal region and economie branches connected with the sea. In the museum you may peruse the archeological collection on sea voyages and trade from pre-historical times up to Middle Ages.
Open from 9-12 and 18-21 hours, every day except Monday.
Address: Cankarjevo nabrezje 3
The 1st May Square or Stari trg or Piazza Vecchia, as it was first named is the centre of the old Punta The main streets of Piran meet here. It used to be the administrative centre of the town till the 13th century.
Here stood the old municipal building, the St. Donat Church from the 14th century and the stone rainwater cistern, which was built after the severe draught in the year 1775. At the back of the cistern there are he statues of two babies, one holding a fish and the other a pot. The stairs leading onto square are decorated with two allegorical statues, of Law and Justice.
Address: Prvomajski trg
Directions: the centre of the old core of the town
More Reviews (23)
- See All Yachting
- Beach activities
- See All The old fishermen town
- See All The Belfry of St. George Church
croisbeauty's Related Pages
Piran Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Slovenia with a touch of Venice"
- "One of the most livable places in Europe."
- "PIRAN - the pearl of Slovenian Coast"
- "Piran - Slovenia's coastal jewel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Piran
- Hotels in Piran
- Transportation in Piran
- Nightlife in Piran
- Restaurants in Piran
- Shopping in Piran
- Warnings and Dangers in Piran
- See All...
Explore the World
- Falomo Hotels
- Passignano sul Trasimeno
- Rizokarpaso Hotels
- Parco Nazionale del Vesuvio
- Christchurch Hotels
- Girvan Hotels
Badges & Stats in Piran
- 34 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Piran?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Piran
Photos in PiranSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 239 reviews, 1109 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 219 reviews, 802 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 193 reviews, 634 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 123 reviews, 466 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 124 reviews, 433 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 134 reviews, 395 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 105 reviews, 395 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 111 reviews, 386 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nairobi Intro, 85 reviews, 376 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 86 reviews, 372 photos, 6 travelogues
Latest Piran hotel reviews
- Tartini's square- 37 Reviews, 56 Photos
- Church of St. George- 24 Reviews, 52 Photos
- Venetian house- 14 Reviews, 23 Photos
- Piran Port- 11 Reviews, 21 Photos
- Prvomajski trg/square- 8 Reviews, 9 Photos
- Church of St. Klement.- 6 Reviews, 13 Photos
- Maritime museum- 7 Reviews, 11 Photos
- Town hall- 10 Reviews, 13 Photos