Budapest Local Custom Tips by croisbeauty
Budapest Local Customs: 241 reviews and 279 photos
The castle was first built in wood for the Millenary Celebration in 1894, but was such a popular success that it was later constructed in the durable stone and bricks.
The whole complex, made up of authentic copies of historic monuments in Hungary, has become a symbol of the City Park.
Today the building houses the Agricultural Museum and the Botanical Collection of the Museum of Natural Science.
Franz Liszt Music Academy
Franz Liszt Music Academy, situated in the ononymous street, is considered one of the best in the Central Europe. The front facade of the building, built in neo-classical style, is beautifuly decorated and with a huge statue to the composer right above the main entrance.
The Museum of Fine Arts
The Museum of Fine Arts, which stands on the left-hand side of Hosok tere, was opened in 1906. It was designed in neo-Classical style as a copy of the Parthenon of Athens.
The current display contains a permanent show of Egyptian, Greek and Roman art, as well as Italian, French and Flemish paintings.
The Exibition Hall
On the right-hand side of Hosok tere stands this alaborately decorated plain brick building. The Exibition Hall shows domestic and fpreign work in every season. This is the largest venue in the capital for temporary exibitions.
The City Park and the Millenary Monument
Besides the Millenary Monument there are other attractions in the City Park, such as; the Zoo and Botanical Garden, the Amusement Park, the Transport Museum and the famous Szechenyi Medicinal Baths.
A whole network of shady paths interweave the Southern section of the Park. This part may also be considered an arboretum, because of its valuable collection of trees and plants.
The colonnades of the Millenary Monument
The semicircular colonnades contains the statues of 7 sovereigns on each side with bronze reliefs below them, showing scenes from their lives.
To make access to the Park easier, a 3,6km underground line between the Inner City (starting from Vorosmarty ter) and the City Park was opened on May 2, 1896. It was the first underground railway on continental Europe.
The Millenary Monument
At the pedestal of the column, the equestrian group of the seven chiefs of the Hungarian tribes who conquered the country with Prince Arpad place in the middle, is the work of Gyorgy Zala.
The Millenary Monument
The Millenary Monument is an enormous parade ground called Hosok tere (Heroe's Square). In its center stads an 85 m semicircular open colonade divided into two parts. This was built for the thousandth anniversary of Hungary's existence.
At its center is a 36 m column with a winged Archangel Gabriel on the top, holding the Cross of Lorraine in one hand and the crown of Hungary in the other.
The Vigado of Pest (Concert Hall) was built between 1859 and 1864 on the site of the old concert hall, and the architect was Frigyes Feszl. Richly proportioned and symmetric, its facade overlooks the Dunakorzo (the Danube promenade) and is an excellent example of the Hungarian Romantic style.
Academy of Sciences
The Hungarian Academy of Sciences on the large oval Roosevelt square. It was built in 1862-1865 to M. Ybl's neo-Renaissance plans, then the fashionable style.
In front of the building and in the square park there are numerous statuetes of famous Hungarians.
More Reviews (96)
- See All Tram
- beer competition
- See All St. Elisabeth of Hungary
- See All Franz List ter
- See All Western Railway Station
- See All Cream of the crop
croisbeauty's Related Pages
Budapest Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Budapest - My dear hometown! :)"
- "Budapest, the "Phoenix bird", my lovely home city"
- "A fantastic town along the Danube River"
- "A New Year, A New City"
- "SUCH A GORGEOUS CITY"
- "I could get used to this!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Budapest
- Hotels in Budapest
- Transportation in Budapest
- Nightlife in Budapest
- Restaurants in Budapest
- Shopping in Budapest
- Warnings and Dangers in Budapest
- See All...
Explore the World
- Milwaukee Hotels
- Port Said Hotels
- Gornji Stoj
- Belleair Beach Hotels
- Tivat Hotels
- Saint Moritz
Badges & Stats in Budapest
- 107 Reviews
- 214 Photos
- 54 Forum posts
- 62 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Budapest?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Budapest
Photos in BudapestSee All Photos (214)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 239 reviews, 1102 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 219 reviews, 802 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 193 reviews, 634 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 123 reviews, 466 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 124 reviews, 433 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 134 reviews, 395 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 105 reviews, 395 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 111 reviews, 386 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nairobi Intro, 85 reviews, 376 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 86 reviews, 372 photos, 6 travelogues
Latest Budapest hotel reviews
- Dominic Panzio
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 3, 2013
- Star Inn Hotel Budapest Centrum
- 129 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2013
- Danubius Health Spa Resort Helia Budapest
- 91 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 25, 2013
- Golden Stars Budapest Apartments
- 214 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Zrinyi Guesthouse
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 23, 2013
- Hotel Papillon
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 9, 2013
- Club Apartment Great
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Marco Polo Hostel
- 83 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Grand Hostel Buda
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 24, 2013
- Agro Panorama
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 31, 2007
- August Hostel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 26, 2009
- Ibis Budapest Vaci Ut
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
- Boomerang Hostel Apartments
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Peters Apartments Budapest
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Radio Inn Apartment Budapest
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 9, 2012
- Buda Castle - Budavar- 257 Reviews, 525 Photos
- Szechenyi Bath - Szechenyi furdo- 58 Reviews, 103 Photos
- Fisherman Bastion - Halaszbastya- 161 Reviews, 323 Photos
- Market Hall - Grand Market Hall - Nagyvasarcsarnok- 45 Reviews, 100 Photos
- St. Stephen's Basilica - Szent Istvan Bazilika- 129 Reviews, 297 Photos
- Heroes' Square - Hosok tere- 129 Reviews, 278 Photos
- Parliament - Orszaghaz- 160 Reviews, 316 Photos
- Gellert Hill - Gellert Hegy - Citadella- 102 Reviews, 208 Photos
- Synagogue - Dohány Street Central Synagogue- 66 Reviews, 154 Photos
- Margharet Island - Margit-Sziget- 58 Reviews, 125 Photos
See All Budapest Things to Do