Dubrovnik Local Custom Tips by croisbeauty Top 5 Page for this destination
Dubrovnik Local Customs: 60 reviews and 84 photos
narrow streets of the old core
I didn't count it but must be like million of stairs all over the city. Central part of Dubrovnik is pretty plane, especially around the Stradun, while it edging parts on both northern ans southern side are very steep. One must be in pretty good body shape to stroll up and down, especially if in a short visit to the town. Elder people must be very carefull because during rain all this stairs could be slippery.
Maybe it look alike sort of a labyrint but you can't be lost here because upstairs direction is always ended by the city walls, while downstairs ending in Stradun.
This is typical Mediterranean habbit, drying cloths outdoors at the fresh air. Shouldn't be too sunny but also not too windy and then it's ideal for fast drying. Fresh and slightly salted air gives to a cloths very special smell. Coastal people use this method all year long because winter isn't that cold and rarely snowing. The only problem is sudden rain if cloths already dry, but if living here one gets use on it.
the bust of Miho Pracat
Miho Pracat, a citizen of merit was a rich shipowner who bequeathed hie welth to the Republic and the only citizen whom the city government had honoured with a monument, in the whole excistance of the Republic. The bust is work of Pietro Giacometti from Racanti.
The Rector's Palace is the home of the history museum of Dubrovnik today. The majority of the halls have style furniture so as to recreate the original atmosphere of the rooms. Here are also numerous portraits and coats of arms of the local noblemen, coins, original keys of the city gates and important state documents.
Knežev dvor (The Rector's Palace) is an outstanding monument of secular architecture built in a mixed Gothic and Renaissance styles. During history, in several ocasions, the palace was destroyed or heavily damaged by fire and earthquake. It was built at the spot where in the Middle Ages a defence building stood called castrum or castellum (fortress). Later on there was built palatium (palace) mentioned also by the name palazzo maggior. After the fire of 1435 the government decided to build a new, bigger and more beautiful palace, and the job was entrusted to Onofrio della Cawa, while the sculptural ornaments were made by Pietro di Martino.
Gunduliceva poljana (the Gundulic Square) is spacious picturesque square surrounded by the stone houses, dominated by the monument to Ivan Gundulic, the most famous poet of Dubrovnik. The monument was erected in 1892 and is work of Croatian sculptor Ivan Rendulic.
During the daytime Poljana is a lively and coloured market place where local farmers from the nearby villages selling fruits and vegetables mainly. In the summer evenings it becomes an open-air stage for various events of the summer festival.
The town itself is full of interesting and beautifull small details which make us believe that we are strolling inside of an openair museum. There are number of small fountains, some of them out of use, statuetes which representating important members of the Republic, coats of arms almost above every door-entrance, but all of it could be hidden from our view. Some of the details worth of our attention, the other not and its always individual decision.
The word of "gospari" means gentlemen, it is the way we Croats call locals from Dubrovnik and its surroundings and they deserve it. In other Dalmatian towns (since you are not used on it) you may find a bit of chaotic atmosphere. The people is shouting or talking too loudly, everybody is out on the streets day or night, the drivers are crazy and those who drive local buses are the worst among them, but it is only a metter of wild temperament and habbits. On the other side, people from Dubrovnik looks more restrained, more quiet and more classy.
More Reviews (67)
- See All Walking paths on the city walls
- See All The small unknown chapels
- See All Rooftops
- See All Croatian tavern
- Flying by Croatiairlines
croisbeauty's Related Pages
Dubrovnik Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "DUBROVNIK , the Pearl of Croatia"
- "Dubrovnik and the beauty inside"
- "Dubrovnik - Ragusa"
- "Divine Dubrovnik"
- "Unavoidable Dubrovnik"
- "A Lovely Village Inside a Wall"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dubrovnik
- Hotels in Dubrovnik
- Transportation in Dubrovnik
- Nightlife in Dubrovnik
- Restaurants in Dubrovnik
- Shopping in Dubrovnik
- Warnings and Dangers in Dubrovnik
- See All...
Explore the World
- Gamping Hotels
- North Myrtle Beach
- Waiheke Island
- Canlaon City Hotels
- Bonita Springs
- Monterosso al Mare Hotels
- Saint-Ouen Hotels
Badges & Stats in Dubrovnik
- 74 Reviews
- 238 Photos
- 73 Forum posts
- 121 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (136)
Have you been to Dubrovnik?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dubrovnik
- Posted in Travel Monastir Forum "Re: Carpet not arrived"
- Commented on one of croisbeauty's Dubrovnik travel pages
- Wrote a Review Walking paths on the city walls about City walls in Dubrovnik Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Minceta Fortress"
- updated a Dubrovnik Travel Page "DUBROVNIK , the Pearl of Croatia"
Photos in DubrovnikSee All Photos (238)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 252 reviews, 1172 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 219 reviews, 811 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 193 reviews, 634 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 154 reviews, 600 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 123 reviews, 466 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 124 reviews, 433 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 134 reviews, 395 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 116 reviews, 411 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 105 reviews, 395 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nairobi Intro, 86 reviews, 385 photos, 4 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (177)
Latest Dubrovnik hotel reviews
- Hotel Lapad
- 929 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Hotel Tirena
- 212 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 8, 2013
- Villa Klaic
- 184 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 2, 2013
- Villa Boro
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2013
- Hotel Dubrovnik President
- 292 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 16, 2013
- Importanne Resort Dubrovnik
- 96 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2013
- YHA Dubrovnik
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 16, 2013
- Hotel Bellevue Dubrovnik
- 580 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Hotel Pucic Palace
- 131 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Hotel Splendid
- 117 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 4, 2013
- Grand Villa Argentina Dubrovnik
- 457 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Hotel Petka
- 83 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2013
- Hotel Argosy
- 300 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 7, 2013
- Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Dubrovnik Sun Gardens
- 554 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Hotel Neptun Dubrovnik
- 289 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- City walls- 110 Reviews, 217 Photos
- Old City- 85 Reviews, 155 Photos
- Stradun- 41 Reviews, 85 Photos
- Big Onofrije's Fountain- 26 Reviews, 51 Photos
- Franciscan Monastery- 25 Reviews, 78 Photos
- Island of Lokrum- 21 Reviews, 48 Photos
- Gates of Pile- 27 Reviews, 40 Photos
- Rector's Palace- 27 Reviews, 66 Photos
- Fort Lovrijenac- 23 Reviews, 52 Photos
- Dominican Monastery- 22 Reviews, 49 Photos
See All Dubrovnik Things to Do