Lepoglava Things to Do Tips by croisbeauty
Lepoglava Things to Do: 7 reviews and 12 photos
Crkva i Paulinski samostan
The Paulist Ivan Belostenec wrote here the first Latin-Croatian dictionary "Gazophylacium".
With the abolition of the Paulist holy order in 1786, the monastery has been concerted into a state penitentiary in 1854. In 2001 the penitentiary moves out, and the state gives it over to the Varazdin diocese.
Crkva Blazene Djevice Marije
The Paulist monastery and the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary exist since 1400 and fall under the protected cultural heritage of national importance. Almost the entire church is preserved in the Gothic style of construction, while the subsequent construction and reconstruction belong to the early and late Baroque.
Crkva Blazene Djevice Marije
There are some facts regarding this church and the town of Lepoglava I didn't know before.
From 1503 until 1637 the first Croatian public secondary school started working in the monastery, and the first Croatian university in the 17th and 18th century.
Well, we never stop learning about our own history.
The local priest was very proud to show ne the organ of the church. It is undoubtely worth of note. Dating from 1649, it is considered as one of the oldest in Europe, a real masterpice of work. It looks so simple but very beautifuly.
Oltar Blazene Djevice Marije
The first side-altar on the right belongs to the Blessed Virgin Mary, whom Croats admire the most. In the central position of the altar stands the statue of Mary made in stone and work of an unknown artist. The altar is so simple but very beautiful.
Oltar crkve Blazene Djevice Marije
During the 18th century John the Baptist Ranger has ornamented the church with frescoes and covered the choir stalls with paintings. The church is also enriched with the late Baroque altar.
During the week, the church is mostly closed but the friendly priests will open it for you on request and show you around.
This is the oldest preserved part of the church, the doorway which connected the church and the monastery. According to the look of the stone arch, it belonged to the pre-Baroque times.
The wooden door is covered by the beautiful paintings from an unknown artist.
More Reviews (2)
croisbeauty's Related Pages
Lepoglava Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Chengdu Hotels
- Acoma Pueblo
- Narara Island Hotels
- Chongwe Hotels
- Luttelgeest Hotels
Badges & Stats in Lepoglava
- 9 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Lepoglava?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lepoglava
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 239 reviews, 1104 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 219 reviews, 802 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 193 reviews, 634 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 123 reviews, 466 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 124 reviews, 433 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 134 reviews, 395 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 105 reviews, 395 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 111 reviews, 386 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nairobi Intro, 85 reviews, 376 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 86 reviews, 372 photos, 6 travelogues