Pula Local Custom Tips by croisbeauty Top 5 Page for this destination
Pula Local Customs: 20 reviews and 40 photos
The church which is situated near my ex-primary school. I have visited it many times, have passed by each and every day when I have lived in Pula but still I don't know the name of it. Would you belive it?
Dom Hrvatske Mornarice
This is the most attractive palace in whole of Pula, situated very close to what is central part of the town nowadays. Originally, it was built as a residential palace to Maria Theresia, female Enperor of Hapsburg Monarchy, during her visits to Pula. In Hapsburg times, Pula was the biggest maritime centar in the monarchy and the biggest war port.
After WWI, the Hapsburgs have left Pula for good and since then this building....
Istarsko Narodno Kazalište
At the end of Kandlerova street, right in direction to Arena, there used to be industrial zone, but disappeared nowadays. This tall brick made chimney was a part of a clothing factory, which still excisting there but the chimney is out of use now. It still stands reminding us on the industrial period of the 20th century.
At the first sight it doesn't look alike but fact is, the city pf Pula has very long naval tradition. The ancient city structure is situated around huge natural bay, well protected of winds and waves. It used to be commercial port but then Hapsburgs turned it into the biggest and most imprtant military port of the whole Empire. Due to its strategic position, it used to be strong military centre in former Yugoslavia too. Nowadays, however, Pula is turned to ordinary coastal town while its natural port becoming significant yachting centre.
This is one of the most impressive building in Pula, built in neo-classical style and situated on the Main Square of the town, colloqially called Giardini (means gardens in Italian).
First it was Italian Bank - the building was donation of the Italian Government under the rule of Mussolini - nowadays it is an Financial institution of the Croatian Government.
James Joyce statue
The great world wide known Irish writer have spend a part of his life in the town of Pula teaching English language. The school was right next to the famous Arch of Sergeius Family, also the apartment where James Joyce were lived.
A foot of his home there was an cafe-bar, at the very same spot where the new one was reopened, and it was the writer favorite place where he used to spend hours watching locals passing by.
Nowadays, here stands the statue of James Joyce, great writer sitting in the shadow of the ancient Roman Arch, do not miss it when visiting Pula.
The Archaeological Museum of Istria
The Museum was established in 1925, in the building of the former German grammar school.
The museum holds prehistoric exibition with exibits from Palaeolithic to the Bronze, monuments of the Roman material culture, and Olive and Vine growing in Istria in antiquity.
Venecijanska palaca u Kandlerovoj
Being a very important military port throughout the passing centuries, the town of Pula have suffered of the major distractions from the air, especially in the WW II. There are not much of the palaces left in the old core of the town.
This Venetian styled palace is situated in the Kandlerova street, just a foot from the Forum and the Cathedral.
More Reviews (66)
- See All Forum
- See All kapelica
- See All By your own boat
- See All Good food here
- See All Beach resorts of Pula
croisbeauty's Related Pages
Pula Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pula, second to Rome for its arena !"
- "PULA - the place where I was grown-up"
- "City is Older Than Dirt"
- "Pula my home town"
- "Pula Has a Lot to Offer"
- "A Nice Town..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pula
- Hotels in Pula
- Transportation in Pula
- Nightlife in Pula
- Restaurants in Pula
- Shopping in Pula
- Warnings and Dangers in Pula
- See All...
Explore the World
- Guimaras Island
- Modena Hotels
- Rengasdengklok Hotels
- Flathead Lake State Park - Finley Point Unit Hotels
- Campbell River
- Hochfinstermünz Hotels
Badges & Stats in Pula
- 76 Reviews
- 248 Photos
- 20 Forum posts
- 44 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (136)
Have you been to Pula?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pula
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 252 reviews, 1172 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 219 reviews, 811 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 193 reviews, 634 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 154 reviews, 600 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 123 reviews, 466 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 124 reviews, 433 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 134 reviews, 395 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 116 reviews, 411 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 105 reviews, 395 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nairobi Intro, 86 reviews, 385 photos, 4 travelogues
Latest Pula hotel reviews
- Verudela Beach And Villa Resort
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 22, 2013
- Holiday (Mutila) Hotel Pula
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 23, 2013
- Splendid Resort
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 29, 2013
- Hotel Valsabbion
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 28, 2013
- Aparthotel del Mar
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 13, 2013
- Hotel Scaletta
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 20, 2013
- Hotel Palma
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 23, 2013
- Camping Village Stoja
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 20, 2013
- Hotel Galija
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 26, 2013
- Hotel Riviera
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 5, 2013
- Pula Hotel
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 15, 2013
- Castor Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Aparts Marina Veruda
- 1 Review & Opinion
- YH Pula
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 8, 2013
- Roman Amphitheater- 15 Reviews, 33 Photos
- Augustus Temple- 16 Reviews, 34 Photos
- Cathedral of Assumption of Blessed Virgin Mary- 9 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Arch of the Sergeius Family- 14 Reviews, 26 Photos
- Dvojna Vrata - Double Gate- 5 Reviews, 10 Photos
- Arena- 11 Reviews, 21 Photos
- Walking- 4 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Franciscan Monastery- 4 Reviews, 14 Photos
- Chapel of Santa Maria Formosa- 5 Reviews, 9 Photos
- Mornaricka Crkva- 3 Reviews, 7 Photos
See All Pula Things to Do