"PULA - the place where I was grown-up" Top 5 Page for this destination Pula by croisbeauty
Pula Travel Guide: 625 reviews and 1,561 photos
The town of Pula means lot to me; it is the place where I was grown-up and therefore I'll always keep it deep into my heart. Here I have established friendships for a life time, here I have meet first love, and here I have started playing basketball, the game I like the most.
Since it is not a big town, there are approx. 70.000 inhabitants, I knew most of its inhabitants meeting them day by day on the streets, in cafes, disco clubs or as fantastic supporters when playing the game. As an typical mediterranean town it has old core, dating back in Roman period, which is more than beautiful, it has fantastic beach resorts about 155 km length and mixed population what gives it cosmopolitan look. But most of all, Pula has a Roman amphtheater which is the unique emblem of the city.
Pula is, belive me, a kind of place you love it or you hate it.
Long history of Pula goes to 18-10th c. BC. Name Pola is of Illyrian origin.
The end of the 1st century BC marked the beginning of the Roman colonization.
After having changed several sovereigns; Ravenna, Frankonian, Aquilea, Venice, it come under the Austrian rule, becoming military port.
- HERITAGE -
- The Roman Amphitheatre from the 1st and 2nd centuries. It is the World's sixth largest preserved amphitheatre.
- Porta Gemina (Twin Gate) from 2nd century
- Ruins of Roman theatre
- Porta Herculea (Hercules Gate) from 1st c. BC
- Triumph Arch of the Sergi, 31 BC
- A large Roman graveyard was located in front of the Town Gate, which DANTE mentions ih his "Inferno" (Canto IX)
- Theatrum Juliae, ruins at Monte Zaro Park
- Byzantine memorial Chapel from 6th c.
- St. Francis Church, year 1314
- Forum Romanorum with the temple of Augustus, 1st c.
- Town Hall is attached in 1296 to the Roman Temple (of Diana)
- St. Mary Cathedral from 5th c., restored in the 15th c. and extended in 1640.
STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION
The shipyard of "Uljanik" presents the most important and most powerful production system on Istrian peninsula. When it is down all economic saytem of the region goes down too.
Behimd the Gate of Hercules (around 50 yearsBC) there is Circolo Italiano di Cultura - Cultural Club of Italian minority.
Right next to it stands the Archeological Museum of Istria.
It is known that throughout the former Roman Empire has been found the remains of over 230 amphitheaters, but most of... more travel advice
At the time of my youth, Pula was the city where where the sport had great significance and success. Pula of my youth... more travel advice
- See All If stone could talk
- See All From gladiators to David Gilmour
- See All Devastation of the Arena
- See All Home grilled fish
croisbeauty's Related Pages
Pula Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pula, second to Rome for its arena !"
- "PULA - the place where I was grown-up"
- "City is Older Than Dirt"
- "Pula my home town"
- "Pula Has a Lot to Offer"
- "A Nice Town..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pula
- Hotels in Pula
- Transportation in Pula
- Nightlife in Pula
- Restaurants in Pula
- Shopping in Pula
- Warnings and Dangers in Pula
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pula
- 94 Reviews
- 347 Photos
- 31 Forum posts
- 44 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (242)
Have you been to Pula?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pula
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 261 reviews, 1197 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 240 reviews, 962 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 200 reviews, 708 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 156 reviews, 603 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 141 reviews, 493 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 132 reviews, 501 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 120 reviews, 425 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 137 reviews, 408 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 105 reviews, 395 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 95 reviews, 394 photos