"Varoš is the real soul of Split" Top 5 Page for this destination Split by croisbeauty
Split Travel Guide: 912 reviews and 2,389 photos
Split is unique in the world because of the harmonious way by which the annexes and partitioning of later centuries have transformed the ancient Emperor's palace into a city. This is exemplified by the Peristil, where within roman columnes and arcades, facades of the Romanesque and the Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque houses and palaces were built. Other modifications over the centuries turned the Diocletian's octagonal mausoleum into a cathedral in which many works of art from the Romanesque to Baroque periods were added, including a Romanesque bell tower, which gives the city a vertical axis.
- an ancient Greek settlemant called Aspalathos
- Emporer Diocletian constructed there around AD 300 a luxurious palace
- Diocletian's Palace, UNESCO World Heritage
- Brass gate, Silver gate
- St. Dominic church, 13th century
- St. Rocco small Renaissance church, 16th century
- Peristyle, the central open-air area of the palace
- Cathedral of St. Doimus
Split is an typical "mad" medeiteraneean city with "mad" people who make a lot of noice. For its inhabitants it is the centre of the world and no other place can be compared with it. Some of the most important things here are: "Hajduk", the local football club, "marenda", light repast which starts around 9AM and, in my opinion, never ends, and talking about politics. Do not start any conversations regarding political issues with locals, unless you're enjoying in arguing. It is in their menthality to oppose to everybody and everything, even they are perfectly in concorcance with your opinion!
Split is the town with plenty of beautiful girls, most of them are very tall, very openminded and extremely temperament. For most people, me including, girls from Split are the most beautiful Croatian girls and not only.
Split is an important Croatian port in terms of passenger and goods traffic. It is the centre of the maritime connections with the ports on the coast and the islands and terminal railway station of the rail connections with the hinterland. Ferries operate regularly between Split and the Central Dalmatian islands as well as to Ancona in Italy.
- See All na koljeno
- See All Nazivi - names - nomena
- See All Stari Varoš
- See All Train
croisbeauty's Related Pages
Split Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "And where's the Palace?"
- "Varoš is the real soul of Split"
- "Diocletian-A Palace that Started a City"
- "Ouch, it's time to Split!"
- "Sunny days in Split"
- "Welcome to Split"
- "I will go back!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Split
- Hotels in Split
- Transportation in Split
- Nightlife in Split
- Restaurants in Split
- Shopping in Split
- Warnings and Dangers in Split
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Split
- 82 Reviews
- 293 Photos
- 25 Forum posts
- 56 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (145)
Have you been to Split?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Split
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 252 reviews, 1172 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 220 reviews, 835 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 200 reviews, 708 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 155 reviews, 602 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 123 reviews, 469 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 129 reviews, 454 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 135 reviews, 398 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 116 reviews, 411 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 105 reviews, 395 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 92 reviews, 383 photos