Varazdin Favorite Tips by croisbeauty Top 5 Page for this destination
Varazdin Favorites: 17 reviews and 41 photos
Favorite thing: This very pictoresque palace, which is situated on the oldest square of the town, belonged to the well known Sermage Family. The look of the front facade attracts so much and you'll click on your camera without hesitation.
Fondest memory: The harmonious Rococo palace, which stood on Stancicev trg, takes the today appearance in the mid of the 18th century. Its owner in the 17th century was baron Prassintzky and later the Sermage family.
Favorite thing: The one.storey angle Ritz House, with a Renaissance arcature on the first floor is one of the oldest houses in Vara?din. The stone lintel beneath the porch with carved I.A. monogram and the year 1540, has been preserved.
The house is situated on the main square of the town.
Trg Kralja Tomislava
Favorite thing: Trg Kralja Tomislava, the King Tomislav Square, is the very heart of the old core of the town. From here you can easilly rich all major sights of the town, which are located no more then 5 minutes walking. Just take the round clock tour and you'll find all sights mentioned on this page.
Fondest memory: The people of Varazdin is very friendly and helpfull, do not hesitate to ask them anything you need to know about their city.
Favorite thing: Located outside the city walls, this magnificient palace was erected by Counts Erdody in the mid-18th century in the baroque style of the period of Maria Theresia. The palace was reconstructed and turned into Capuchin barraks around 1850, by Vara?din master builder Franciscus Arnold. Nowadyas it houses Music school of Vara?din, one of the best of kind in Croatia.
the Old Town Hall
Favorite thing: The Baroque styled Old Town Hall dominate the northern part of the Main Square of the town. Even today, it is the seat of the Town Council.
From the roof-top of the building rises the watch-tower with the clock.
Zgrada Varaždinske Županije
Favorite thing: When strolling around the old core of the town, you may noticed a number of very attractive palaces with beautifuly decorated gateways. The one on the picture, designed in the Baroque style, belongs to the one-storey angle Patacic - Putar Palace which is situated right opposite to the theatre. Worth of note is also very elegant glass veranda on the first floor.
Favorite thing: Draskovic palace is situated on the eastern side of the Tomislav Square. It belonged to the Counts of Draskovic, who had very important role in the history of Croatia.
The house is built in Rococo style in the second half of the 18th century. The Croatian ban Franjo Nadesdy lives in it from 1756, he selected Varaždin for his seat making it the capital of Croatia until the great 1776 fire.
The axis of the main front was a mid -18th century stone portal feauturing coat of arms of the Draskovic family.
More Reviews (32)
- See All best in the town
- See All County Palace
- NK Varteks
- See All Twins
- See All The back-smith's workshop
- See All Flowers/foliage
croisbeauty's Related Pages
Varazdin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "VARAZDIN - The Baroque city"
- "Varazdin, city of the north"
- "Welcome to the Town of Croatian Baroque !"
- "The Sampsons in Varazdin"
- "Trips to Varazdin"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Varazdin
- Hotels in Varazdin
- Transportation in Varazdin
- Nightlife in Varazdin
- Restaurants in Varazdin
- Shopping in Varazdin
- Warnings and Dangers in Varazdin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Varazdin
- 41 Reviews
- 142 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (237)
Have you been to Varazdin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Varazdin
Photos in VarazdinSee All Photos (142)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 258 reviews, 1202 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 238 reviews, 962 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 200 reviews, 708 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 156 reviews, 603 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 129 reviews, 491 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 130 reviews, 456 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 120 reviews, 425 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 137 reviews, 408 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 105 reviews, 395 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 95 reviews, 394 photos