"AQUILEIA" Top 5 Page for this destination Aquiléia by croisbeauty
Aquiléia Travel Guide: 88 reviews and 216 photos
Te name Aquilea goes back to Aquilis, the pre-Roman term for the river Natisone. Recent archaelogical finds point to the existance of protostoric settlements in the area (from the 13th to the 9th century BC).
Dedicated to the Virgin Mary and to Saints Hermagoras and Fortunatus, it represents a historical continuation of the Theodorean episcopal centre above the structures of early Christian buildings.
On the top of the column stands the Roman she-wolf, the symbol of mighty Roman Empire.
Very interesting baptismal font, from 1512, is preserved inside the basilica. It stands in the right aisle of the... more travel advice
croisbeauty's Related Pages
Aquiléia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "More than your average ruin"
- "History remains"
- "Antiquity in Northeast Italy"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Aquiléia
- Hotels in Aquiléia
- Transportation in Aquiléia
- Restaurants in Aquiléia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Aquiléia
- 27 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (145)
Have you been to Aquiléia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aquiléia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 252 reviews, 1172 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 220 reviews, 835 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 200 reviews, 708 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 155 reviews, 602 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 123 reviews, 469 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 129 reviews, 454 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 135 reviews, 398 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 116 reviews, 411 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 105 reviews, 395 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 92 reviews, 383 photos