"BOLOGNA - "La Turrita"" Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna by croisbeauty
Bologna Travel Guide: 1,035 reviews and 2,943 photos
Bologna, chief town of the Italian region Emilia Romagna, is located between the two rivers Reno and Savena in the Po Valley (Pianura Padana), backing the Apenine Tosco-Emiliano. The town has a population of about 410.000.
In addition to being reputed to possess the most ancient University in all Europe and, therefore being called "La Dotta" (erudite), Bologna is also famous for its cooking, claimed to be a form of art here, whish bestows upon the town another funny nick-name: "La Grassa" (the fatty town). In fact, cooked pasta such as "Lasagne al Forno", "Tortellino in brodo" and Bolognese meat sauce" cannot be missed in the Restaurants in town.
Finally, Bologna is also called "La Turrita", which means packed with towers, because of its countless towers and porticos (36 km of porticos are reckoned to form the body of the town).
The city of Bologna has many faces, Italians call it "citta di arte e cultura", meaning the city of arts and culture. Bologna has long tradition in fine arts and its School of Arts is aknowledged as one of the best in Italy and the world aswell. The school was supported by influential painters such as Carracci, Guido Reni, Dominichino and Quercino.
According to a legend, La Gioconda (Mona Lisa) was painted in Bologna - history tells us that in 15151 Leonardo da Vinci and Filiberto di Savoia, in the wake of Francis I the King of France, were housed in the Felicini palace in Bologna. Well, legend has it that Leonardo painted La Gioconda on that occasion ba taking as model Filiberta and not according to the tradition Lisa of Francesco Giocondo
STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION
- Pros:One of the few places in which I would like to live
- In a nutshell:Tortellini + Verdi and Rossini + Guido Reni + Glossatori
Each Italian city has two statues that resemble people who have had a crucial role in the unification of Italy, one is... more travel advice
The impressive Porta Saragozza was built in 1860, upon the remains of its medieval precursor. It is located in the most... more travel advice
- See All Chiesa di San Salvatore
- See All Mixed Irish and Italian cuisine
- See All The oldest shop in Bologna
- See All Flea market at Piazza San Stefano
- See All Bologna cuisine is a must taste
- See All Cheap but very clean
croisbeauty's Related Pages
Bologna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BOLOGNA - "La Turrita""
- "My way to stay in Bologna!"
- "Bologna - Capital of Emilia-Romagna"
- "Bologna - The Red City"
- "Cattedrale di San Pietro"
- "Fat and fabulous"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bologna
- Hotels in Bologna
- Transportation in Bologna
- Nightlife in Bologna
- Restaurants in Bologna
- Shopping in Bologna
- Warnings and Dangers in Bologna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bologna
- 135 Reviews
- 398 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (147)
Have you been to Bologna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bologna
Photos in BolognaSee All Photos (398)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 252 reviews, 1172 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 220 reviews, 835 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 200 reviews, 708 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 156 reviews, 603 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 123 reviews, 469 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 129 reviews, 454 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 118 reviews, 422 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 135 reviews, 398 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 105 reviews, 395 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 92 reviews, 383 photos