Brescia Off The Beaten Path Tips by croisbeauty Top 5 Page for this destination
Brescia Off The Beaten Path: 13 reviews and 36 photos
The small church of San Marco is almost hidden by the toller houses in its surroundings and not easy to find. It is situated in the immediate vicinity of the Torre d'Ercole, just a few meters in direction of south.
The thirtheen century San Marco is an interesting example of late Romanesque architecture. It has simple plan in its interiors, which preserves valuable 14th century frescoes.
The twelve century Torre d'Ercole is the best preserved example of tower-house, a medieval form of private dwelling of the Palazzi family. The tower takes its name from the ancient place "Vicus Herculis".
Ezzelino da Romano had its top chopped of in 1258, as a tengible sign of the Ghibelline conquest.
The ruins of the Roman Theatre, still under the excavation works, stands next to the Capitolium. According to its proportions, the town of Brescia was important settlement in the Roman times.
Unfortunately, I couldn't seen any progress in the reconstruction works since my last visit of the site which was more then a year ago.
The temple of Capitolium stands at the north end of the Roman Forum, of which remains of porticoes can be seen in the square, beside a stretch of the paved "decumanus maximus".
On the right of the temple are the neglected remains of a Roman amphitheatre. By the time of my visit to Brescia, it was closed and under major reconstruction works.
Capitolium is a Roman temple erected by the emperor Vespasian A.D. 73, which stands on a high stylobate approached by the steps, 15 of which are original. The temple has a hexastyle pronaos of Corinthian columns with a colonnade of three columns on each side. The three cellae were probably dedicated to the Capitoline Trinity, Jupiter, Juno and Minerva.
The temple was excavated in 1823 and reconstructed in brick in 1939-1950. Beneath it is a republican sanctuary, dating from 89 BC, with mosaics of small uncoloured tesserae.
By the 3C B.C. the city of Brescia had come under Roman rule. Most of the old city centre still have traces of the crisscros Roman street plan. However, not much of the Roman building have left in the town.
Via dei Musei leads you to the imposing Capitolium, remnants of the large temple from the Roman times.
More Reviews (29)
- Tennis courts bellow the castle
- See All View from the castle hill
- See All The church of Santa Agata
croisbeauty's Related Pages
Brescia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fascinating 'ordinary' place...."
- "Brescia - small team, but great supporters"
- "Beautifuls mountains..."
- "Brescia - unfortunately, not among my favourites"
- "Another great northern Italy town!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brescia
- Hotels in Brescia
- Transportation in Brescia
- Nightlife in Brescia
- Restaurants in Brescia
- Shopping in Brescia
- Warnings and Dangers in Brescia
- See All...
Explore the World
- Mersing Hotels
- Manahan Ranch Estates Hotels
- Long Island
- Horbat Nataf Hotels
- Cramond Island Hotels
Badges & Stats in Brescia
- 35 Reviews
- 83 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Brescia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brescia
Photos in BresciaSee All Photos (83)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 239 reviews, 1107 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 219 reviews, 802 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 193 reviews, 634 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 123 reviews, 466 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 124 reviews, 433 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 134 reviews, 395 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 105 reviews, 395 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 111 reviews, 386 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nairobi Intro, 85 reviews, 376 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 86 reviews, 372 photos, 6 travelogues