Burano Things to Do Tips by croisbeauty Top 5 Page for this destination
Burano Things to Do: 97 reviews and 189 photos
What makes Burano so special to me? Canals, narrow houses painted in pastel colours, craft of lace-making and the friendly locals. My camera loves this place and its harmony of colours that are splendidly featured in these peadeful townscapes. Nothing can be compared with the picture of the houses mirroring in the canals.
The peculiar position of Burano respect to winds and marshes, saved it from the decadence and from the destruction, the happened to other islands of lagoon.
Thanks to its position more detached from the mainland, Burano avoided the plague or malaria, quite normal in the lagoon islands in the passed centuries. Furthermore, its position was a natural defence from invaders.
Besides its idyllic and fascinating beauty, Burano looks like a very clean place which is in extreme contrast to Venice. Even the tourists when here showing much better manners then in Venice. This is definetely the only place in area of Venice where you can really feel relaxed.
Canals of Burano
The inhabitants of Burano, century after century, consolidated and raise again the ground, dug canals and raise bridges, transforming a swamp in a hospitable place. The final result looking good and very charming, Burano become touristic attraction.
Most of Burano bridges look alike copy of those in Venice, in particularly bridges across the narrow chanels at Dorsoduro or Canneregio. All are made of stone and conkrete and arched in style, except for the one made of wood. The wooden bridge look alike the newest construction.
I wonder if there is rule about painting houses, made by community authorities, or each owner has right to paint picking the colour he likes? If houses in a row, one after another, then we can notice that in some cases left hand didnt know what right hand is doing. Certain houses and their colours matching as "punch in the eye".
More Reviews (21)
croisbeauty's Related Pages
Burano Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Burano – colour your soul"
- "Burano - land of thousands colours"
- "United Colours of ....Burano!"
- "Burano - Colourful Little Island of the Lagoon"
- "Colourful Burano"
- "Bold, Beautiful, But Buggy, Burano"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Burano
- Transportation in Burano
- Nightlife in Burano
- Restaurants in Burano
- Shopping in Burano
- Warnings and Dangers in Burano
- See All...
Explore the World
- Hermosa Hotels
- Chalkis Hotels
- Ischia Porto
- Kampung Peramu Hotels
- Pak Tam Chung Hotels
Badges & Stats in Burano
- 28 Reviews
- 93 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (129)
Have you been to Burano?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Burano
Photos in BuranoSee All Photos (93)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 239 reviews, 1109 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 219 reviews, 802 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 193 reviews, 634 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 123 reviews, 466 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 124 reviews, 433 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 134 reviews, 395 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 116 reviews, 411 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 105 reviews, 395 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nairobi Intro, 85 reviews, 376 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 86 reviews, 372 photos, 6 travelogues