"FIRENZE - FLORENCE" Top 5 Page for this destination Florence by croisbeauty
Florence Travel Guide: 5,247 reviews and 11,821 photos
This is what happened to Nettuno in summer of 2005!, some barbarian tourist climbed up on the statue and have broken its right hand. The Neptune Fountain, work of Ammannati, was carried out between 1563 and 1575, being "eye-witness" of many wars and inclements during the centuries and nothing bad happened to it. Do we have right to call us the civilized?
I revisited Florence in September 2011 and the right hand of Nettuno is restaurated.
My first visit to Firenze was long ago, I was young and fresh ready for new experience. I still remember the tremor I had when strolling around all this monumental churches and palaces and the admiration I felt standing in front of copy of Michelangelo's Davide. But most of all, I remember the atmosphere of an vivace city, crowded by the tourists and locals and yet all this people were happy, friendly and above all very polite. Before this summer of 2005, I was here six years ago and in that occasion found Firenze very changed. Architecurarly, nothing has happened, Duomo was still there as well as Ponte Vecchio, Santa Croce, Piazza della Signoria...., but something was missing and I couldn't find out what.
After this last visit, in August of 2005, I know what the missing chain is, there is no atmosphere in the city and the crowd has dramatically changed. I saw hords of robotes, jumping from sight to sight and elbowing each other with no manners at all. I wanted to revisit Uffizi, Duomo, Palazzo Vecchio,...., but had to quit. Couldn't stand elbows, stepings upon me, bad manners and nobody says EXCUSE ME. Gosh, I am not small guy, have 191cm, but having enough of all I decided to stay outside of the major sights this time.
During this visit I've discovered some new sights, in particularly in the quarter of San Frediano, but have missed some I already knew. Haven't visit Santa Croce, Giardino di Boboli, Monte alle Croci and in particularly Fiesole. My plan was to stay in Firenze for three days but the unpolite crowd forced me to excape towards Chianti and Siena.
When you walk on the bridge at that moment you feel that you've run into a small alley filled with the shops and lots of... more travel advice
The church of San Jacopo sopr'Arno, situated on the southern bank of the river Arno, was built in the 10th and 11th... more travel advice
- See All Nettuno
- See All Salvatore Ferragamo Boutique
- See All Overlooking Ponte Vecchio
- See All Ponte Vecchio
croisbeauty's Related Pages
Florence Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "FIRENZE - FLORENCE"
- "My Relationship With Firenze"
- "weekends in Florence"
- "Firenze -Florence - Florenz - Florencia"
- "Breathtaking Florence!"
- "Fourth time round....."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Florence
- Hotels in Florence
- Transportation in Florence
- Nightlife in Florence
- Restaurants in Florence
- Shopping in Florence
- Warnings and Dangers in Florence
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Florence
- 104 Reviews
- 363 Photos
- 51 Forum posts
- 53 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (251)
Have you been to Florence?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Florence
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 268 reviews, 1232 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 244 reviews, 987 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 200 reviews, 708 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 157 reviews, 609 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 141 reviews, 493 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 132 reviews, 501 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 120 reviews, 425 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 137 reviews, 408 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 105 reviews, 395 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 95 reviews, 394 photos