"Lago di Garda" Top 5 Page for this destination Lago di Garda by croisbeauty
Lago di Garda Travel Guide: 495 reviews and 1,182 photos
Lago di Garda, originally known as Locus Benacus, was much loved by Virgil, Catullus and Goethe. The lake, whose waters are famed for their transparency, is considered a kind of extension of the city of Verona.
The lake has many attractions for tourists: a mild climate, beautiful and varied scenery, ranging from the rolling hills at the southern end to sort of fiords at the northern end. Further more, man-made attractions are being constantly developed. There are a number of amusement parks and sporting grounds, and during the winter season there is plenty of good skiing on the spacious snowfields of Monte Baldo.
Natural beauty and the picturesqueness of the ancient fishing villages around the lake make its splendid attractions.
Sirmione holds the most important role in the tourism of Lago di Garda's area. Most of the huge hotel resorts are located outside of the city walls, however, there are a plenty of it inside the old core of the town, as well as the fine restaurants and in particularly excellent and delicious ice-cream shops.
When in Sirmione a must see the medieval castle of the Scaligere and Roman ruins at Grotte di Catullo.
Malcesine is situated in the northern part of Lago di Garda, on the eastern shore which belongs to the Region of Veneto. The Scaligero Castle dominates whole the place, offering magnificent view to the lake from its high defending tower.
- Pros:It's impossible not to love this area
- Cons:overcrowded streets and restaurants in August
Visconti from Milano almost two centuries unsuccessfully tried to conquer the area of Verona and its surroundings ruled... more travel advice
The dusk over Lake of Garda is spectacular scene, especially in the early spring time. The best position to take the... more travel advice
- See All From Peschiera across the Lago di Garda
- See All Drive carefuly!
- See All From Veneto to Lombardia
- See All Across the lake
croisbeauty's Related Pages
Lago di Garda Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lago di Garda"
- "LAGO DI GARDA"
- "A Mediterranean microclimate"
- "Welcome to Lago Land"
- "Lake Garda"
- "GARDALAND - FUN FOR YOUNG AND ... EVERYONE !"
- "Italy's largest and nicest lake"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lago di Garda
- Hotels in Lago di Garda
- Transportation in Lago di Garda
- Nightlife in Lago di Garda
- Restaurants in Lago di Garda
- Shopping in Lago di Garda
- Warnings and Dangers in Lago di Garda
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lago di Garda
- 53 Reviews
- 150 Photos
- 24 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (251)
Have you been to Lago di Garda?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lago di Garda
Photos in Lago di GardaSee All Photos (150)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 268 reviews, 1232 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 244 reviews, 987 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 200 reviews, 708 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 157 reviews, 609 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 141 reviews, 493 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 132 reviews, 501 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 120 reviews, 425 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 137 reviews, 408 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 105 reviews, 395 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 95 reviews, 394 photos