"Mantova" Top 5 Page for this destination Mantova by croisbeauty
Mantova Travel Guide: 107 reviews and 308 photos
Mantova was probably founded by the Etruscans, who had occupied a good part of the Plain of the Po. It is a town of art and culture, and was one of the most flourishing centers of Renaissance. The town reached its zenith under Gonzaga patronage, with the presence in the city first of Andrea Mantegna.
In the past hundred years the city has found it difficult to adapt to its new role as provincial center. It is only 40km far from Verona, absolutely a must see when around.
The complex, which is generally called the Ducal Palace or the Gonzaga Palace, consist of a series of buildings, dating to different periods, which were joined together in the course of the 13th to 17th centuries.
The Castle of San Giorgio was built between 1390 and 1406 by the engineer Bartolino da Novara. It is located in a peropheral site overlooking the lakes and next to the Gonzaga residence, surrounded by a moat and drawbridges.
The central court was rebuilt by Andrea Mantegna, where Camera degli Sposi or Camera Picta is situated, one of the most celebrated rooms in all of Renaissance painting.
croisbeauty's Related Pages
Mantova Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "City Full Of Art, Churches, Palazzos, and Lakes"
- "Mantova: a little lost paradise"
- "Surrounded with three lakes"
- "Mantova and Mantegna"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mantova
- Hotels in Mantova
- Transportation in Mantova
- Nightlife in Mantova
- Restaurants in Mantova
- Shopping in Mantova
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mantova
- 29 Reviews
- 63 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (145)
Have you been to Mantova?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mantova
Photos in MantovaSee All Photos (63)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 252 reviews, 1172 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 220 reviews, 835 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 200 reviews, 707 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 154 reviews, 600 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 123 reviews, 466 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 128 reviews, 453 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 134 reviews, 395 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 116 reviews, 411 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 105 reviews, 395 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nairobi Intro, 86 reviews, 385 photos, 4 travelogues