Padova Local Custom Tips by croisbeauty Top 5 Page for this destination
Padova Local Customs: 51 reviews and 83 photos
Il Museo Diocesiano
The Diocesian Museum of Padova was opened in 2000, housed in the Bishop's palace which was built in the 15th century, but it seems that its foundation dates back in the early 14th century. In the exsibition rooms are works from the cathedral Santa Maria Assunta and the churches of the diocese, dating from 9th to 13th centuries, distributed on two levels and sorted by sections with age criteria.
The first floor of the building is dedicated mainly to scholars and diocesian library holdings. One lounge is dedicated to San Gregorio Barbarigo, bishop of Padova from 1664 to 1697. Treasure of the cathedral contains the oldest liturgical furnishings, such as an inkwell (9th c.), a panel with Jesus Christ (11th c.), a processional cross from 1228.
Sala del Belvedere houses works of art from the 14th and 15th centuries, among which paintings by Paolo Veneziano, Niccolo Semitecolo, Giorgio Schiavone, Giambattista Tiepolo and sculptures by Bonazza.
The museum is open every Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 14 to 18 and Sunday from 10 to 18 hours. Closed in August, Christmas and Easter. Admission is 4 euros.
Angelo Beolco "Il Ruzante"
Angelo Beolco, called Ruzante (1500-1542), was a great storyteller, actor and writer of the Renaissance. His work as a writer-actor started early in life. He had a long and fruitful collaboration with friend Alvise Cornaro, wealthy landowner and man of letters (check my tip Loggia e Odeo Cornaro).
Ruzante, together with his colleagues set up the Commedia dell' Arte Italiana, from which great European playwrights drew much inspiration, in particular Moliere and Shakespeare. Dario Fo, great Italian writer and the winner of Nobel Price for the Literature, defined Ruzante: "an extraordinary theatrical of my land, very little known...even in Italy".
The statue of Angelo Beolco stands in Piazza Capitanato, right behind the Towns Clock.
the church of Thomas Becket
The church of Saint Thomas Becket, located in via San Tommaso 3, was erected in the 17th century on earlier foundations. This church represents one of the Baroque jewels of Padova. Until the end of the 19th century the church was led by the order of San Filippo Neri.
The interior of the church preserves masterpieces by A. Bonazza, Bonaccorsi, Ferrari, Pelizzari, Maffei. The ceilling is decorated with 15 canvases from the 17th and 18th century, representing the Mysteries of the Rosary. The vesrty holds a number of paintings amongst which a superb Modonna on the Throne by Antonio Vivarini from the 15th century, and a crucifix attributed to Donatello.
In the sacristy is the art gallery, of the same name, founded in 1966, which contains medieval wall paintings, textiles, liturgical vestments, manuscripts, archaeological materials, jewelery and many paintings.
The statue to Elena Lucrezia Cornaro Piscopia
Who was Elena Lucrezia Cornaro Piscopia, never heard of her before visiting the University of Padova. The inscription in Italian says; "prima donna laureata nel mondo", the first woman ever in the whole world who graduated in the university. The statue stands in the ground floor of the univerity of Padova.
More Reviews (85)
- See All Palazzo del Consiglio - Palazzo degli...
- See All Santa Maria dei Servi
- See All Padova sul Acqua
- See All Padova free country
- See All art shop
- See All City tour bus
croisbeauty's Related Pages
Padova Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Padova...our new home...for now"
- "PADOVA - PADUA"
- "Focal Point of the Past"
- "Padova, Padua, Padoa, Patavium"
- "Prato della Valle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Padova
- Hotels in Padova
- Transportation in Padova
- Nightlife in Padova
- Restaurants in Padova
- Shopping in Padova
- Warnings and Dangers in Padova
- See All...
Explore the World
- Lansing Hotels
- Santa Monica
- Florence Hotels
- Düsseldorf Hotels
- Porto Cristo
- Santa Marta Hotels
Badges & Stats in Padova
- 105 Reviews
- 380 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Padova?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Padova
- Posted in Travel Mombasa Forum "Re: Mombasa June "
- Wrote a Review Palazzo del Consiglio - Palazzo degli Anziani in Padova Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Palazzo del Consiglio - Palazzo degli Anziani"
- Commented on one of Mikebond's Padova travel pages
- updated a Padova Travel Page "PADOVA - PADUA"
Photos in PadovaSee All Photos (380)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 239 reviews, 1107 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 219 reviews, 802 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 193 reviews, 634 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 123 reviews, 466 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 124 reviews, 433 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 134 reviews, 395 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 105 reviews, 395 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 111 reviews, 386 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nairobi Intro, 85 reviews, 376 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 86 reviews, 372 photos, 6 travelogues
Latest Padova hotel reviews
- Holiday Inn Padova
- 86 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Ibis Padova
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Posta '77
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Oct 27, 2006
- Campanile Padova
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Casa a Colori
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2013
- Hotel Paradiso
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 5, 2013
- Hotel Galileo Padova
- 59 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Hotel Sereno
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 22, 2012
- Europa Zaramella Padova
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 8, 2012
- Hotel Padova Casa del Pellegrino
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 14, 2013
- Hotel Alla Fiera
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 14, 2013
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Hotel Al Cason
- 120 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 4, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Biri
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 27, 2012
- Basilica di San Antonio- 28 Reviews, 65 Photos
- Prato della Valle- 27 Reviews, 65 Photos
- Palazzo della Ragione- 16 Reviews, 27 Photos
- Basilica di Santa Giustina- 12 Reviews, 24 Photos
- Bo University- 7 Reviews, 11 Photos
- Scovegni Chapel- 5 Reviews, 13 Photos
- Botanical Gardens- 4 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Piazza dei Signori- 3 Reviews, 4 Photos
- Cappella degli Scrovegni- 5 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Tomb of Antenor- 6 Reviews, 12 Photos
See All Padova Things to Do