Palmanova Favorite Tips by croisbeauty
Palmanova Favorites: 5 reviews and 5 photos
Palazzo del Provveditore Generale
Favorite thing: Palazzo del Provveditore Generale, the Governor Palace, was comissioned in 1598 by the governor Marc'Antonio Memmo, as writen on the arch above the portal. The palace was built to be home of the governor and his family, but also served as the office from where he governed the place. It was constantly enlarged by edding new wings and storeys.
Since the beginnings of the 19th century it is the seat of the Town Hall.
Favorite thing: Porta Aquileia, also known as Marittima, is one of the three accesses of the town. The gates are all attributed to the famous Venetian architect Vincenzo Scamozzi, and were the only visible external constructions outside the fortress. It was the first gate, built in 1598, several years before the other two.
Favorite thing: Porta Cividale was built at the same time as Porta Udine, from 1604 - 1605, also by Vincenzo Scamozzi.
Outside the gate you can see the huge moats and well preserved remainings of the second row of defending walls. It is the side from which the first attacks of Turks and Habsburgs' could be expected.
Favorite thing: Porta Udine is situated at the end of Borgo Udine. If you step inside the gate you can still see the drawbridge wheels. Also, the inner construction shows its military purpose and use through the niches with fireplaces and the wooden main doors studded with nails.
Outside Porta Udine, on the right side, there is Aqueduct which served for civil use.
Favorite thing: Piazza Grande, the main hexagonal square, is the centre and the heart of Palmanova. Once it used to be the parade ground where the Governor gather the troops and drill them.
Six radial roads tend to Piazza Grande and each of it intersecting perfectly with the three ring streets. In the middle of the square stands an Istrian-stone well and a banner, symbol of Palmanova, rises on this base.
Today an important market is held here every monday.
More Reviews (16)
croisbeauty's Related Pages
Palmanova Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Palmanova
- Transportation in Palmanova
- Restaurants in Palmanova
- Shopping in Palmanova
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Palmanova
- 21 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (253)
Have you been to Palmanova?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Palmanova
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 258 reviews, 1202 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 238 reviews, 962 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 200 reviews, 708 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 156 reviews, 603 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 126 reviews, 476 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 129 reviews, 454 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 120 reviews, 425 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 137 reviews, 408 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 105 reviews, 395 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 95 reviews, 394 photos