Portofino Things to Do Tips by croisbeauty Top 5 Page for this destination
Portofino Things to Do: 44 reviews and 79 photos
chiesa di San Martino
The church of San Martino is the 12th century construction which dominates the whole central part of Portofino. It has both religious and archaeological importance in the history of the place. The hanging arches and its beautiful rose window stand testimony of its Middle Ages past. Interior of the church is in particularly attractive and richly adorned with marbles, sculptures and valuable paintings. The triptych of saints Rocco, Sebastiano and Fabiano belonging to the Genovese School, dating back to the 16th century. The stripes on its front facade are very characteristic for the Lombard Romanesque style which could be seen on most church of Liguria.
chiesa di San Giorgio
The sanctuary of San Giorgio, who is one of the two patron saints, dominates the village of Portofino, offerind splendid birds eye view from its square. The church dates back to the 1154 when was built in the Romanesque style. It was rebuilt at the end of the 17th century and then enlarged to the present size in 1760. During World War II the church was heavilly damaged in bombings but then rebuilt and restored in 1950'. In its interior the church preserving relics of San Giorgio brought by seamen who returned from the Crusades.
Castello Brown was built in the 16th century and had important strategic purpose in defending Portofino bay against the intruders. It is perfectly positioned controlling the entrance into the bay but also, the open sea from the other side.
Later on, close to end of the 19th century, the castle was purchased by Montague Yeats Brown, the English consul in Genoa. It becomes his residence and was transformed to a comfortable villa.
Since 1961 the castle is property of the city of Portofino housing the fine museum.
Address: climb up the hill, the castle is after the church
Directions: Above the harbour of Portofino.
Oratorio di Santa Maria Assunta
The 14th century oratory of the confraternity of Our Lady of the Assumption has big importance in religious - architectural past of Portofino. The most noteworth features of the oratory are two huge crucifixes, one is white while the other is black. Local people carrying them in the processions to mark the feast of San Giorgio, however, carrying these two crucifixes isn't easy task since each of them weighing over 100kgs.
chiesa di San Martino
More Reviews (21)
- the best wowen fabrics in the world
- See All They do laundry even in Portofino
- See All Ristorante - Pizzeria
- See All Things which could be missed to see
croisbeauty's Related Pages
Portofino Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Portofino - a scenic place in Liguria !!"
- "Portofino - Jewel of the Italian Riviera"
- "A gem tucks in Ligurian coast"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Portofino
- Hotels in Portofino
- Transportation in Portofino
- Restaurants in Portofino
- Shopping in Portofino
- See All...
Explore the World
- Echuca Hotels
- Lytle Creek Hotels
- Mizpe Ramon Hotels
- Maassluis Hotels
- Giv`at Olga
- State of New South Wales
Badges & Stats in Portofino
- 28 Reviews
- 115 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Portofino?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Portofino
Photos in PortofinoSee All Photos (115)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 239 reviews, 1109 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 219 reviews, 802 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 193 reviews, 634 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 123 reviews, 466 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 124 reviews, 433 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 134 reviews, 395 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 105 reviews, 395 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 111 reviews, 386 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nairobi Intro, 85 reviews, 376 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 86 reviews, 372 photos, 6 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (170)
Latest Portofino hotel reviews