Salò Things to Do Tips by croisbeauty Top 5 Page for this destination
Salò Things to Do: 23 reviews and 45 photos
Porticoe under the Town Hall
Vecchia Dogana is the old Custom Office, dating back from the Venetian period of the town. It is situated on the lakeshore in the part which was out of the town walls. On the second thought, it might be even older because the ramparts on the walls have typical Ghibellini style, which is characteristic for the Scaligers.
Due to a configuration of the place, there are a number of such a narrow and pretty much low passageways which connects streets and the part of the village built up on the hillside. Some of the passageways, like this one on the picture, are in particularly beautiful.
When strolling in the historic centre of the town, many little gems can be seen. This, in particularly beautiful balcony, can be seen on the palace which is situated right behind the Porta Rocca. If I am not wrong, the balcony is situated in Brunati Street.
Porta Rocca (Rocca means fortress) is western entrance into the town and it was a part of the town walls, destroyed during the centuries. Actually, the rests of the town walls building that was made to rebuild in 1377 from the Visconti, conserve the western Gate of the Fortress. Above the gate there is the tower of the clock.
Porta San Giovanni
Porta San Giovanni is eastern entrance into the village, situated a foot from the Cathedral. The simple stone gate is decorated with the Venetian lion, which marks the whole territory once under the rule of migthy Venetian Republic.
Interiors of the Cathedral
The interiors of the Cathedral, very large and monumental, is in particularly beautiful and rich with important works of art. The most valuable is "Quattro Evangelisti" , fresco in the cupola painted by Palma il Giovane. Wonderful "Crocifisso" in presbytery dates from 1449 and is work of Giovanni da Ulma, known also as Johannes teuthonicus. Besides, there are many other pieces of art worth of note.
Address: Piazza Duomo
Il Duomo di Salo
The magnificent Cathedral of Salo, dedicated to Santa Annunziata, is one of the most appreciated sacral object in whole territory of Garda. It was built in the 15th century in Gothic style with one rich Renaissance entrance hall. Unfortunately, the front facade of the cathedral has never been finished.
Address: Piazza Duomo
More Reviews (13)
croisbeauty's Related Pages
Salò Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The beautiful town of Salò"
- "Salo, last trip of Duce"
- "Salo - a worthy stop"
- "Salò Page"
- "Saturday Night Specials :-)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Salò
- Hotels in Salò
- Transportation in Salò
- Restaurants in Salò
- Shopping in Salò
- See All...
Explore the World
- Saint John Hotels
- Asbestos Hotels
- Kaponga Hotels
- Ar Ramtha Hotels
Badges & Stats in Salò
- 22 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (136)
Have you been to Salò?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salò
- Posted in Travel Venice Forum "Re: San Zaccharia to the cruise..."
- Wrote a Review What is the name of this village in Salò Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "What is the name of this village"
- updated a Salò Travel Page "Salo, last trip of Duce"
- Commented on one of nighthawk's Salò travel pages
Photos in SalòSee All Photos (53)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 252 reviews, 1172 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 219 reviews, 811 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 193 reviews, 634 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 154 reviews, 596 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 123 reviews, 466 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 124 reviews, 433 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 134 reviews, 395 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 116 reviews, 411 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 105 reviews, 395 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nairobi Intro, 86 reviews, 385 photos, 4 travelogues