Sirmione Off The Beaten Path Tips by croisbeauty Top 5 Page for this destination
Sirmione Off The Beaten Path: 10 reviews and 13 photos
This is so-called l'Ossario with endless rows of the skulls of Italian soldiers fallen in the second battle for the indepedence at San Martino della Bataglia.
The outnumbered soldiers from Piedmont have defeated Austrians in glorious battle.
Capella dei conti Treccani
Smal but beautiful Chapel of Counts Treccani is situated in the memorial park, right next to the Panoramic Tower of San Martino della Bataglia. The chapel houses Ossario, where the skulls of many fallen soldiers can be seen, and the tombs of Piemontesi officers.
San Martino della Bataglia
San Martino della Bataglia has an very important role in the history of Italy. The Panoramic Tower marks the place where Piemontesi have defeated Austrians, Jun 24, 1859, in the second and decisive battle for the independence. The tower, which during the night lights the colors of Italian flag, was built between 1880 and 1893 and is work of architect Frizzoni from Bergamo.
Early mornings when sunrise and early evenings when sunset is the part of the ay I like the most. I was sitting on the top of the peninsula of Sirmione, where the Grotte of Catullo is situated, enjoying in the panorama of the lake and waiting for the sunset. There was nothing around me to disturb the idyllic scene of the lake, exept for this solitary boat.
The church's park
This cute little park with lots of greenery and interesting statues is situated right behind the St. Maria Maggiore. You can miss it when walking along the main promenade of the town. I suppose it is assigned to the local priest excusively, since it is closed fot the public visitors.
More Reviews (43)
croisbeauty's Related Pages
Sirmione Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Place of the Magical Waters"
- "A beauty and excellent company"
- "Sirmione on Lake Garda"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sirmione
- Hotels in Sirmione
- Transportation in Sirmione
- Nightlife in Sirmione
- Restaurants in Sirmione
- Shopping in Sirmione
- Warnings and Dangers in Sirmione
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sirmione
- 48 Reviews
- 163 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (179)
Have you been to Sirmione?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sirmione
Photos in SirmioneSee All Photos (163)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 258 reviews, 1202 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 238 reviews, 962 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 200 reviews, 708 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 156 reviews, 603 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 126 reviews, 476 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 129 reviews, 454 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 120 reviews, 425 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 137 reviews, 408 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 105 reviews, 395 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 95 reviews, 394 photos