"Stresa" Top 5 Page for this destination Stresa by croisbeauty
Stresa Travel Guide: 157 reviews and 364 photos
I wasn't impressed by Stresa, except for the magnifcent villas which can be seen all around, especially up on the hills. Stresa is also known as the "pearl of the Lake" but to me, just to mentioned, Arona is much more beautiful. The town itself has an very interesting small medieval harbour and that is all worth of seeing.
Stresa is famous, in a first place, because of so-called Borromeo Islands which are situated in a short distance inside the lake.
Isola dei Pescatori (the Fishermen's Island) is very small island with quaint houses, streets and boats anchored in the harbour. It is, to me, the most beautiful part of Lago Maggiore.
Besides the small medieval harbour of Stresa, I was also attracred by the beautifully arranged parks on the lakefront.
The original name of the island is Isola San Vittore, but was changed to Isola Isabella, after Carlo Borromeo's wife, and over the years it was shortened to Isola Bella. Today the island is worldwide famous for huge Palazzo Borromeo and its gardens.
This is the picture I took zooming it from the terrace of an cafe-bar on Isola dei Pescatori. There is a fine, probably... more travel advice
The tiny strip of land between Isola Bella and Isola dei Pescatori is known as Malghera island, but it is called Island... more travel advice
croisbeauty's Related Pages
Stresa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Lady of the Lake"
- "Stresa - a beautiful town at Lago Maggiore"
- "Lake Maggiore , The Beauty Of The Italian Lakes"
- "A Place Outside of Time"
- "Lake and mountains"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stresa
- Hotels in Stresa
- Transportation in Stresa
- Restaurants in Stresa
- Shopping in Stresa
- Warnings and Dangers in Stresa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stresa
- 31 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (180)
Have you been to Stresa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stresa
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 258 reviews, 1202 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 238 reviews, 962 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 200 reviews, 708 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 156 reviews, 603 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 126 reviews, 476 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 129 reviews, 454 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 120 reviews, 425 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 137 reviews, 408 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 105 reviews, 395 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 95 reviews, 394 photos