"Venezia" Top 5 Page for this destination Venice by croisbeauty

Venice Travel Guide: 8,203 reviews and 21,709 photos

Regatta Storica, September 04. 2005.

Venezia is, because of its water structure, one of the most visited destinations in the world. Tourism, no doubt about, makes the greater part of the city income, as well as the income of its inhabitants. I suppose the tourists should be welcome and respected here, and above all, protected from those who are trying to take the advantage.
Is it right to ask:
-130 euros per 45 minutes of gondola tour
- to pay 49,50 euros per single supper
- to charge 12,00 euros per 0,33 of bottled wine (Pinot Grigio)
- to pay 18,00 euros per parking fee (for less then 6 hours).
If so, would you come back to Venezia, would you recommend it to your friends?
OK, it is very expensive place to be but no metter of it we still visit Venezia, at least for once in our life-time.
The question is, what is the best way to explore the city area? Some like it from the water front, the others by strolling around. I'd say, combining the both of this options. The truth is, you can't see all you need to see in day or two. You can't explore Venezia profoundly in one visit only, it takes more than one visit because there are lots of things to see and do here. Probably the best way is to take the tour of one sestiere at the time and by doing so, you can explore two or maximum three of them in one day.

Venetian canals

There exist very close connection between Venezia and my home country of Croatia. In the Middle Ages, Venetian Republic ruled over the most part of Eastern Adriatic coast, where nowadays my home country is situated. Many buildings and churches in the coastal towns of Croatia have been build in the characteristic Venetian style. Many famous Venetians were born in Croatia; Marco Polo (born on island of Korcula) is probably the most famous among them.
They say that all wooden pillars, on which the town of Venezia stands, are originally from the high forrests of Croatia. The most important churches and palaces of Venezia are built of white and pink stone which comes from the peninsula of Istria and the island of Brac. In fact, Venetian architects, and not only, have considered the stone from Brac as the best one that exist on earth. It is, by the way, the reason why the White House in DC was built of it.

Venezia is not dear to me, in fact, I see it as one of a kind city and that's all. It is beautiful town, no-one can dispute it, but what bothers me are the locals and their feigning character. The fact is, I speak Italian very good and am able to understand the coments they're saying about tourists and visitors of the town. Most of the coments, trust me, are not very polite. In short, I can't like the town itself if I don't like the people who live in it. Since the town depend on tourism, the locals should have more respect towards the tourists and visitors, both coming from abroad or Italy. Most of them, however, treat the tourists like the lamb for butchering.

STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Burano

DEDUCTION
- I am not disappointed,
- I am not embittered,
- I am not surprised,
because, all what have happened to me I have expected.
This is why I don't like Venice.
Of course, I could spend less for a day trip if:
- arriving here in organized group tour or by public transportation,
- bying wine in the store or having water instead,
- eating fast-food while strolling around,
however, it is not my style. Besides seeing something I like to enjoy and feel comfortable.
Well, I am not complaing about my experience, I knew exactly how much a day trip to Venezia might cost me. It is one of the reasons why I am regularly visiting Verona.

• Pros:extraordinary architecture, fantastic galleries & stunning lagoon
  • Cons:the tourist is not a lamb for butchering
  • Last visit to Venice: Oct 2008
  • Intro Updated Oct 24, 2008

• robertdee's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2014 at 10:41 AM

We've been to Venice twice, a month each time and rented an apartment. We fell in love with the place but it helped that we avoided areas packed with tourists. Getting a monthly vaporetto ticket cuts the cost way down. The place is magical, most people very friendly, and I'd go back in a heartbeat.

• sweetgirl45's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Venice is so beautiful! I hope to visit this place one day.

• zadunajska8's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Thanks for the tips on Venice. These will be really helpful for my trip there next month, I think. Love the photos.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Hello, Boris! Thanks for your detailed interesting page! ~

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Great Venice tips - and your photos are GORGEOUS! Makes me want to go back - my day trip was definitely NOT long enough!

• alza's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Tks for Regatta Storica Tip. I'll remember this for future trips to Venice.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Thank you for the excellent tips, advice and photos! Everything is very helpful to new tourists to Venice!

• Jun 17, 2009 at 9:51 AM

Thank you so much for taking the time to write all of this up for everyone ! Quite a big help, it is appreciated!

• Jul 1, 2008 at 9:32 AM

Could you put the addresses on your tips please? Or even the vague location Thanks

• huggybecky's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2008 at 7:23 AM

Tried to find this lovely restuarant on the recommendation of a family friend last year and it was closed down (no tables/chairs, very dusty, newspaper over windows) :-(

croisbeauty

“do not hesitate, pack your bag and go, doesn't matter where”

Badges & Stats in Venice