Verona Off The Beaten Path Tips by croisbeauty Top 5 Page for this destination
Verona Off The Beaten Path: 142 reviews and 255 photos
The abandoned Villa on St. Pietro hill
Just couldn't resist not to take the picture of this abandoned Villa which is lined on the Castle S. Pietro. As it is all "dressed" in green it looks very charming and beautiful. Too bad it is in such a bad conditions. It has just perfect position and spectacular view on the old core of the town. Who knows why the owner is treating the porperty in such a bad way.
The bust of Felice Cavallotti
The bust of Felice Cavallotti, 1842-1898, stands on the wall in the passage of Scaliger palace. He was Italian politician, poet and dramatic. In 1860 and 1866 he faught with the Garibaldi Corps. Cavalotti was killed on the 6th of March 1898 in a duel with Count Macola, editor of the conservative Gazetta di Venezia, whom he had assailed with characteristic intemperance of language.
This statue, which stands on Piazza delle Erbe right next to the Domus Mercatorum, is dedicated to the Justice.
On its piedestal is written:
"Dal luogo sacro la civilta Italica arra di liberta e giustizia tende la spada".
The Old Market place in Via Marconi
To be honest, I've discovered this what used to be a Market place only by chance when strolling around. It is situated in Via Marcini, left of Corso Porta Nuova and now it looks very neglected and in a poor conditions. I hope it wont be pulled down.
Just a foot from the Old Market you can find this defending tower which is hidden and interpolated in between new buildings. It was obviously a part of the city walls and defending system of the town. In fact, it is in the same line as the Hexagonal Tower of Portoni Bra and the city walls behind the Vecchia Guardia.
Corso Santa Anastasia
When strolling around the old core of the city, take a look at the balconies of Verona. Most of them are decorated by the flowers and plants, especially those in Via Porta Borsari and Santa Anastasia (on the picture). It looks like a kind of the competition between the local citizens.
The fortress of Sofia
The Fortress of Sofia is a part of the defending system of the town built during the period of Autrian rule of Verona. It is situated on the hill above the river of Adige, right next to the Sanctuary of Madonna of Lourdes. The fortress is of heptagonal shape with the huge round building in its centre.
This old well (pozzo in Italian) is situated in a tiny street next to the Piazza dei Signori. It was obviously built in the medieval times of Verona. The well is built of stone and nicely decorated.
The Holy water stoup from 1591 was carved by Paolo Orefice. It is known as "Pasquino" (from Pasqua, Easter in Italian) because it first appeared in the Basilica at Easter in the year 1591. This hunchback is slightly larger and more ornat than the one next to it.
Some of my friends, when visiting Verona, couldn't find the location of Porta Borsari. In fact, it looks like hidden in the structure of the newly build houses that are surrounding it. You can't miss it approaching from the direction of Castelvecchio, by Corso Cavour street.
Porta Borsari is Roman Gate from 41-54 d.c., you can approach to it from Corso Cavour or Corso Porta Borsari which is right on the opposite side.
More Reviews (170)
- See All Buy "verdura" in the heart of the city
- See All W. Shakespeare
- See All Car
- See All Not bad at all
- See All Chiesa di.....
- See All Medieval tunes
croisbeauty's Related Pages
Verona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Verona "my town""
- "Verona - The City of Balconies"
- "Architecture & dancingqueens reaching for the sky"
- "My Verona"
- "Operas in the Arena"
- "Verona, a living museum"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Verona
- Hotels in Verona
- Transportation in Verona
- Nightlife in Verona
- Restaurants in Verona
- Shopping in Verona
- Warnings and Dangers in Verona
- See All...
Explore the World
- Cape Coral Hotels
- La Romana
- Singosari Hotels
- Beebeetown Hotels
- Chavakkad Hotels
- Daytrip outside Amsterdam: The Hague / Madurodam / Scheveningen
- Pasadena Off The Beaten Path
- New Zealand Off The Beaten Path
- Cyprus Off The Beaten Path
- Amsterdam Off The Beaten Path
- Santa Cruz Off The Beaten Path
- Illinois Off The Beaten Path
- Daytrip outside Amsterdam: Haarlem
- Granada Off The Beaten Path
- Jacksonville Off The Beaten Path
- United States of America Off The Beaten Path
- Noordwijk aan Zee Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Verona
- 193 Reviews
- 629 Photos
- 43 Forum posts
- 100 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Verona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Verona
Photos in VeronaSee All Photos (629)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 239 reviews, 1107 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 219 reviews, 802 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 193 reviews, 634 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 123 reviews, 466 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 124 reviews, 433 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 134 reviews, 395 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 105 reviews, 395 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 111 reviews, 386 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nairobi Intro, 85 reviews, 376 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 86 reviews, 372 photos, 6 travelogues
Latest Verona hotel reviews
- Montresor Hotel Giberti
- 87 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 17, 2013
- Euromotel Croce Bianca Verona
- 54 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 2, 2013
- B&B Al Filarmonico
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 10, 2013
- Hotel Turismo
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Golden Tulip Parkhotel Affi
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 13, 2011
- Sogno di Giulietta
- 128 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Maxim Hotel
- 105 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Due Torri Hotel Baglioni
- 118 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Firenze Verona
- 220 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Residenza San Faustino
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 20, 2013
- Novo Hotel Rossi
- 101 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Holiday Inn Congress Centre
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Hotel Torcolo
- 225 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Romeo & Juliet- 108 Reviews, 178 Photos
- Arena- 115 Reviews, 192 Photos
- Piazza delle Erbe- 90 Reviews, 149 Photos
- Piazza dei Signori - Piazza Dante- 62 Reviews, 91 Photos
- Piazza Bra- 51 Reviews, 87 Photos
- Castelvecchio- 49 Reviews, 98 Photos
- The Scaligeri Tombs- 32 Reviews, 56 Photos
- Teatro Romano - Roman Theatre- 15 Reviews, 30 Photos
- Basilica San Zeno- 15 Reviews, 29 Photos
- Sant'Anastasia Chiesa - Church- 13 Reviews, 36 Photos
See All Verona Things to Do