"VICENZA - Andrea Palladio's town" Top 5 Page for this destination Vicenza by croisbeauty
Vicenza Travel Guide: 326 reviews and 911 photos
I have a nice privilege, my good friend lives in Vicenza so that I often visit this beautiful city. Simplyput, it is a city that you fall in love at first sight. In the Province of Veneto there are dozens of very beautiful cities, but only two are that you should not miss to visit, Venice and Vicenza. Besides Venice, the city of Vicenza is the most important architectural heritage site in Northern Italy!
In 49 B.C. Vicentia, as it was known, became a Roman municipium.
In early Cristian times the city became a diocese under the patriarchate of the Bishop of Milan, and later in the 5th century of Aquileia.
Whatever you do here, be sure to visit the TEATRO OLIMPICO before you leave. NOTHING LIKE IT EXIST ON THIS PLANET.
Vicenza is a mecca for those who love great architecture, it is the showcase for ANDREA PALLADIO, one of the most innovative and widely copied designer of all time.
The town was almost blown off the map by World War II bombings, but it was carefully reconstructed after 1946.
The earliest informations on the preistoric inhabitants of the Vicenza area date back to the 9th century B.C. The pile dwellings in Lake Fimon and the necropolis at Angarano testify to the presence of the Euganei people who were later supplanted by the Veneti from Illyria, a vast area on the eastern shores of the Adriatic sea, roughly corresponding to the Roman Dalmatia.
Vicenza se nalazi u neposrednoj blizini Verone kojih pedesetak kilometara prije, i po mojemu sudu, to je grad koji je u svakom slucaju vrijedno pogledati. Napose zbog cinjenice sto je ovdje zivio i stvarao Andrea Palladio, najveci i najpriznatiji arhitekt Renesensnog razdoblja uopce. Sve ono sto ce u razgledanju grada uhvatiti tvoja kamera, dijelo je ovog genijalnog arhitekta. Posebno skrecem tvoju pozornost na palacu "La Rotonda", koja se nalazi u predjelu zvanom Colli Berici, jer to je najkopiranija zgrada u cjelokupnoj povijesti ljudske civilizacije.
Around 776 it was governed by Frankish Count.
In 1311 was conquered by the Veronese Scaligeri rulers.
In 1404 Vicenza put itself spontaneously under the protection of the Republic of Venezia.
The Renaissance palaces of Vicenza, by Palladio, led to the city's inclusion in UNESCO's World Herritage List.
- Pros:homogeneous urban design
- In a nutshell:Baccala al Vicentino
In the turbulent period of the Middle Ages, the town was repeatedly conquered and destroyed, until the early 15th... more travel advice
Oratorio dei Proti was built 1658 and is an complex containing the oratory and an orphanage of the same name. After in... more travel advice
croisbeauty's Related Pages
Vicenza Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "VICENZA - Andrea Palladio's town"
- "Vicenza - "Venezia on terra firma""
- "Build Well with Palladio touch"
- "Hello Palladio, looking for Tiepolo, and finding!"
- "Citta Del Palladio"
- "Vicenza - Land of Palladian Villas"
- "Vicenza; home of Palladio and his architecture"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vicenza
- Hotels in Vicenza
- Transportation in Vicenza
- Nightlife in Vicenza
- Restaurants in Vicenza
- Shopping in Vicenza
- Warnings and Dangers in Vicenza
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vicenza
- 77 Reviews
- 259 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (251)
Have you been to Vicenza?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vicenza
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: How to rent a cat from Split..."
- updated a Vicenza Travel Page "VICENZA - Andrea Palladio's town"
- Commented on one of croisbeauty's Vicenza travel pages
- Wrote a Review The city of thousand towers in Vicenza Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "The city of thousand towers"
Photos in VicenzaSee All Photos (259)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 268 reviews, 1232 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 244 reviews, 987 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 200 reviews, 708 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 157 reviews, 609 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 141 reviews, 493 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 132 reviews, 501 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 120 reviews, 425 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 137 reviews, 408 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 105 reviews, 395 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 95 reviews, 394 photos