"VICENZA - Andrea Palladio's town" Top 5 Page for this destination Vicenza by croisbeauty
Vicenza Travel Guide: 314 reviews and 856 photos
In 49 B.C. Vicentia, as it was known, became a Roman municipium.
In early Cristian times the city became a diocese under the patriarchate of the Bishop of Milan, and later in the 5th century of Aquileia.
Whatever you do here, be sure to visit the TEATRO OLIMPICO before you leave. NOTHING LIKE IT EXIST ON THIS PLANET.
Vicenza is a mecca for those who love great architecture, it is the showcase for ANDREA PALLADIO, one of the most innovative and widely copied designer of all time.
The town was almost blown off the map by World War II bombings, but it was carefully reconstructed after 1946.
The earliest informations on the preistoric inhabitants of the Vicenza area date back to the 9th century B.C. The pile dwellings in Lake Fimon and the necropolis at Angarano testify to the presence of the Euganei people who were later supplanted by the Veneti from Illyria, a vast area on the eastern shores of the Adriatic sea, roughly corresponding to the Roman Dalmatia.
Vicenza se nalazi u neposrednoj blizini Verone kojih pedesetak kilometara prije, i po mojemu sudu, to je grad koji je u svakom slucaju vrijedno pogledati. Napose zbog cinjenice sto je ovdje zivio i stvarao Andrea Palladio, najveci i najpriznatiji arhitekt Renesensnog razdoblja uopce. Sve ono sto ce u razgledanju grada uhvatiti tvoja kamera, dijelo je ovog genijalnog arhitekta. Posebno skrecem tvoju pozornost na palacu "La Rotonda", koja se nalazi u predjelu zvanom Colli Berici, jer to je najkopiranija zgrada u cjelokupnoj povijesti ljudske civilizacije.
Around 776 it was governed by Frankish Count.
In 1311 was conquered by the Veronese Scaligeri rulers.
In 1404 Vicenza put itself spontaneously under the protection of the Republic of Venezia.
The Renaissance palaces of Vicenza, by Palladio, led to the city's inclusion in UNESCO's World Herritage List.
- Pros:homogeneous urban design
- In a nutshell:Baccala al Vicentino
- See All Di tutti i gusti
- Flea market
- See All Chiesa di San Stefano
- See All Palazzo Braschi
- See All Casa Cogollo - Andrea Palladio's home
croisbeauty's Related Pages
Vicenza Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "VICENZA - Andrea Palladio's town"
- "Vicenza - "Venezia on terra firma""
- "Build Well with Palladio touch"
- "Hello Palladio, looking for Tiepolo, and finding!"
- "Citta Del Palladio"
- "Vicenza, Citta di Palladio"
- "Vicenza; home of Palladio and his architecture"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vicenza
- Hotels in Vicenza
- Transportation in Vicenza
- Nightlife in Vicenza
- Restaurants in Vicenza
- Shopping in Vicenza
- Warnings and Dangers in Vicenza
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vicenza
- 76 Reviews
- 247 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (146)
Have you been to Vicenza?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vicenza
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 252 reviews, 1172 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 220 reviews, 835 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 200 reviews, 707 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 154 reviews, 600 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 123 reviews, 466 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 128 reviews, 453 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 134 reviews, 395 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 116 reviews, 411 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 105 reviews, 395 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nairobi Intro, 86 reviews, 385 photos, 4 travelogues