Matmata Things to Do Tips by croisbeauty Top 5 Page for this destination
Matmata Things to Do: 32 reviews and 53 photos
The everyday's rutine
This lady showed to us the everyday rutine of an Berber's woman, as it was in the past times. It is a kind of handy quern serving for grinding the cereals.
The dining room
The biggest room of the house is a dinning room where locals spend most of the day-time. This one have a very beautiful and interesting kind of frescoe paintings on the ceiling. The dining room is very simple and almost without any furniture.
The inneryard is pretty huge and open to the air. It is centrally positioned in the house from where Berbers can get to each of many rooms. Some of the houses are two-storeyed constructions but without the staircase. They use a simple rope to get to the upper level where the sleeping rooms for younger people are situated.
The outside temperature was around 50 C degrees, very hot but dry and I had no problem with breathing.Inside the long corridor, which leads to the inneryard, the temperature was around 35C degrees and that seemed to me very refreshing.
No names or numbers on the front door of the house, instead there are symbols of hand and fish coloured in the traditional blue colour.
The hand (so-called Fatima's hand) shows how many families live in the house, while the fish symbolized wisdom, tranquility and welcome to the visitors.
The outside kitchen
The old Berber women
More Reviews (9)
croisbeauty's Related Pages
Matmata Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Troglodytic houses"
- "Home of the Troglydytes"
- "Its a hole!"
- "matmata - star wars comes to town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Matmata
- Hotels in Matmata
- Transportation in Matmata
- Nightlife in Matmata
- Restaurants in Matmata
- Warnings and Dangers in Matmata
- See All...
Explore the World
- Naubinway Hotels
- Norfolk Island Hotels
- Grandview Hotels
- Zelazowa Wola Hotels
- Camano Island
Badges & Stats in Matmata
- 19 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (136)
Have you been to Matmata?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Matmata
Photos in MatmataSee All Photos (41)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 252 reviews, 1172 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 219 reviews, 811 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 193 reviews, 634 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 154 reviews, 600 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 123 reviews, 466 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 124 reviews, 433 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 134 reviews, 395 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 116 reviews, 411 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 105 reviews, 395 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nairobi Intro, 86 reviews, 385 photos, 4 travelogues