"The town of many contrasts" Top 5 Page for this destination Mombasa by croisbeauty
Mombasa Travel Guide: 308 reviews and 804 photos
Mombasa was my base in Kenya from where I have travelled around. Actually, I stayed in touristy resort north of the town, which is called Coral Beach. This whole area is enclousered, under the round clock protection by armed guards and exclusevely assigned for the tourists from abroad. We were told not to go out and contact with the locals because it might be dangerous. In spite of that, I went out, even during the nights, made alot of contacts and found locals very friendly and cordial. Nothing inconvinient has happened to me or to other people from my group. The fact is that outside touristy resort everything costs much cheaper than in the hotels and that is the main reason why we have been awarned not to go out.
My first organized city tour to Mombasa was two or three days after ariving in Coral Beach and I didn't like it. We haven't seen much of the town except for the Market and the old core of the town situated around Fort Jesus. Later on, I did city tour by the taxi but still didn't like it because there are not too many interesting sights in the town.
Mombasa is mixture of different cultures but great majority of its inhabitants are Muslims. Everywhere you go around the town you'll see alot of woman dressed completely in black (locals call them African ninjas). Great majority of them have covered faces and all you can see are two courious but hostile eyes. I tried to make some contacts but it was impossible.
The poor and desperate people live in ugly slams situated in the outskirts of the town. First time ever I saw people living in such a bad conditions. The huts are bungled of all kinds of refuses with no electricity, gas and running water at all. This is hungry and desperate people and you better don't stop here.
- See All Fort Jesus
- See All Day trip to Watamu Beach/Malindi
- See All Bombolulu
- See All Night-club and all other
- See All "Beach boyz"
croisbeauty's Related Pages
Mombasa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The town of many contrasts"
- "Mombasa - Entrance to Kenya"
- "Mombasa raha"
- "Fantastic Kenya"
- "Mombasa the beach city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mombasa
- Hotels in Mombasa
- Transportation in Mombasa
- Nightlife in Mombasa
- Restaurants in Mombasa
- Shopping in Mombasa
- Warnings and Dangers in Mombasa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mombasa
- 58 Reviews
- 248 Photos
- 13 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (237)
Have you been to Mombasa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mombasa
Photos in MombasaSee All Photos (248)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 261 reviews, 1197 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 239 reviews, 962 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 200 reviews, 708 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 156 reviews, 603 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 140 reviews, 482 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 130 reviews, 491 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 120 reviews, 425 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 137 reviews, 408 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 105 reviews, 395 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 95 reviews, 394 photos