"The town of many contrasts" Top 5 Page for this destination Mombasa by croisbeauty

Mombasa Travel Guide: 308 reviews and 801 photos

Coral or Shanzu Beach

Mombasa was my base in Kenya from where I have travelled around. Actually, I stayed in touristy resort north of the town, which is called Coral Beach. This whole area is enclousered, under the round clock protection by armed guards and exclusevely assigned for the tourists from abroad. We were told not to go out and contact with the locals because it might be dangerous. In spite of that, I went out, even during the nights, made alot of contacts and found locals very friendly and cordial. Nothing inconvinient has happened to me or to other people from my group. The fact is that outside touristy resort everything costs much cheaper than in the hotels and that is the main reason why we have been awarned not to go out.

Mombasa

My first organized city tour to Mombasa was two or three days after ariving in Coral Beach and I didn't like it. We haven't seen much of the town except for the Market and the old core of the town situated around Fort Jesus. Later on, I did city tour by the taxi but still didn't like it because there are not too many interesting sights in the town.
Mombasa is mixture of different cultures but great majority of its inhabitants are Muslims. Everywhere you go around the town you'll see alot of woman dressed completely in black (locals call them African ninjas). Great majority of them have covered faces and all you can see are two courious but hostile eyes. I tried to make some contacts but it was impossible.

The outskirt of Mombasa

The poor and desperate people live in ugly slams situated in the outskirts of the town. First time ever I saw people living in such a bad conditions. The huts are bungled of all kinds of refuses with no electricity, gas and running water at all. This is hungry and desperate people and you better don't stop here.

• Last visit to Mombasa: Aug 2006
  • Intro Updated Mar 20, 2014

• mozaleek's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2009 at 8:35 AM

Hallo ! I would like to thank you so much for this photo of the band , mombasa root's band i'ev lookin every where for there picture but im glad at last i found it from you . You can e-mail me if you would like @ my email add mshallo@hotmail.com .

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2008 at 3:37 AM

HURRAY! Along with all your other great tips, this one is right among the top. a beach free of beggers and sell-boys. rates a 10 with me.

• BTMonica's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2007 at 1:49 AM

Wow! I have read numerous pages since joining this site and I have found most of them either extremely vague or incomplete. You, dear sir, are informative, sensitive, and offer us so much excitement. Thanks for sharing.

• Oct 4, 2006 at 10:39 PM

a great start boris! i look forward to seeing the finished result. the beach looks nice, but it's not the adriatic! :)

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2006 at 5:08 PM

Great start, Boris. Despite the poverty, there are still a lot of smiling faces on this page. The seafood sounds delicious too!

croisbeauty

“do not hesitate, pack your bag and go, doesn't matter where”

Badges & Stats in Mombasa

Have you been to Mombasa?

Latest Activity in Mombasa