"Nairobi is friendly town" Top 5 Page for this destination Nairobi by croisbeauty

Nairobi Travel Guide: 635 reviews and 1,493 photos

The town called "Nairobbery"

It's funny how many rubbish we can find on internet regarding place we intend to visit, especially if that place is situated in Africa. I did my homework before departing to Kenya, researching all what was available. One "respectfull" site indicated Nairobi as "Nairobbery" and it is no other than insult to all citizens of this town. According to that site, white tourists should stick to the center of the town only and in no case should leave their hotels when dark.
I spent three days in Nairobi and was not robbed there except in my hotel paying too high price for the accomodation. Actually, in my hotel was "robbed" twice because the staff there suggested me not to take my camera out when getting dark, therefore I haven't night-time pictures of the town. All in all, I spend nice times in Nairobi, meeting very friendly people there except for those in my hotel.
Nairobi is typical new build african capital which, in my opinion, do not represents country itself, architecturaly it looks more like any other european city with those characteristic skycrapers "dressed" in blu coloured glass. Actually, I was a bit dissapointed expecting it to have more african look.

Kibera

Do not miss to visit vively Kibera when in Nairobi, but do it in a local way by City Hoppa or matatu, cost you 20 ksh only in one direction. The taxi guy should ask you 2000 ksh to take you there and back to town and you wont see all worth of seeing.

Skyline Nairobi

During visit in 2007, my hotel (Kenya Comfort) was right in the centre of the town, just a foot from all major sights of Nairobi. I climbed up to the rooftop terrace in order to take just a few pics from there. Some of them you can see within my tips.

• Pros:nice&friendly people, good restaurants and clubs
  • Cons:no smoking in public places, streets including
  • Last visit to Nairobi: Aug 2010
  • Intro Updated Aug 8, 2011

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2012 at 9:09 AM

your Kenyan observations are insightful- wished i had visited in the 60's, but then i had the Passport that did not allow me to visit. S'est la vie . Meegwetch ;-)

• Mushurira's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2011 at 8:46 AM

Thank you my friend you have hit the nail on the head, as a Kenya who have been to several European cities, i think Nairobi is friendly and growing fast people should not trust every web one come2kenya.net talks all about kenya.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2011 at 5:19 AM

Thanks for your interesting story! Very instructive and nice!~

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2011 at 4:31 AM

Hi Boris Very interesting tips on Nairobi and useful background for my forthcoming trip, as I've never had the chance on my previous business trips to spend time exploring the city. Thanks for sharing! Regards Cathy

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2010 at 9:55 PM

I am writing notes from your beautifully written pages on Nairobi. They are so helpful for the trip I am having in July.Thanks so much. Popi

• sphynxxs's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2009 at 4:13 AM

actually you don´t have just white people in Gigiri - it´s where the UN have their African headquarters and where the US embassy is located. So it is actually a place where affluent diplomats of any race (as well as some Kenyan politicians) live.

• Ramonq's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Excellent tips!! Thanks. Will be in Nairobi soon.

• May 12, 2009 at 4:14 AM

Dear Croisbeauty, Relieved by your comments, clearly based on experience rather than heresay. As a Kenyan, I know that Nairobi is not for the naive, but it is also a city with a good side. Msafiri_61

• Osmun79's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2009 at 7:10 PM

The internet gets it wrong.. most of the time. I lived and worked in Kenya for 10 months and was in Nairobi for 6. I walked around downtown at night.. I was fine. Basically, be street smart and your fine.

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2009 at 3:55 AM

Thanks for sharing these good Nairobi tips.

croisbeauty

“do not hesitate, pack your bag and go, doesn't matter where”

Badges & Stats in Nairobi

Have you been to Nairobi?

Latest Activity in Nairobi