""The pearl of Africa"" Top 5 Page for this destination Uganda by croisbeauty
Uganda Travel Guide: 1,221 reviews and 3,025 photos
Once upon the time maybe it was "the pearl of Africa", but not today.
Fact number one; Idi Amin Dada was here,
fact number two; the same president rules this country over 25 years now.
- Uganda is no longer worlds major cocoa supplier,
- there is no railway in the country,
- the menthality of the people is two centuries behind,
- the roads look alike to middleages.
Actually, I haven't noticed too many police forces out in the streets, except for those who control the traffic. But than, during one early afternoon I was strolling around Market place and it happened to be the eye witness of extreme arrogancy and disregard by the local police. The streets around the Market place are usually owercrowded by the both people and cars. Fact is, Ugandans do not care much wheter their car parked properly or not. All the sudden I could hear the deafened siren coming out from the police vehicle which was leading the colone. It was big armoured vehicle, the kind which police usually use in the anti-terroristic actions. People out on the streets start to scream and run aside while the armoured vechicle continued without slackening. What happened next, see in my local customs tips.
After reading all my tips a friend of my ask me, was it all that bad? During typing I put on the paper some of my bitter experiences but had no idea it sounds that pesimistic. Fact is, I don't like rain during my travellings and if long time raining my spirit is pretty much down. In some of my tips I was very critical towards the locals and their menthality, but had no bad intentions at all. I know it can be changed very easily, need only small effort. Ugandans are pretty much relaxed, taking things the way they are and doing nothing in order to change or improve them. Most of them will tell, what can I do am alone, and that kind of answer made me feel bad.
On the other hand, they are very nice and friendly people, too bad they live in such a conditions. Cross my fingers for this kids hoping they'll have much better future than the present situation is.
- Pros:very friendly people
- Cons:lack of democracy, ruined economy of the country
- In a nutshell:Uganda need changes to become soon what it used to be before
Uganda is ranked as the world's leading consumer of alcohol, 17,6 litres per capita. It is a very huge problem in this... more travel advice
Imagine mzungu (white man) who is first time visiting Uganda and who rented a car in Kampala. The car is in a "perfect"... more travel advice
- See All Housing
- See All What about bathing in Victoria Lake
- See All Very chaotic but pretty nice experience
- Special is taxi and it have special...
croisbeauty's Related Pages
Uganda Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""The pearl of Africa""
- "Pearl of Africa"
- "Uganda - The Pearl of Africa"
- "Undoubtedly one of Africa's hidden gems!"
- "BACK TO THE ROOTS"
- "Once it was called the pearl of Africa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Uganda
- Hotels in Uganda
- Transportation in Uganda
- Nightlife in Uganda
- Restaurants in Uganda
- Shopping in Uganda
- Warnings and Dangers in Uganda
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Uganda
- 84 Reviews
- 308 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (145)
Have you been to Uganda?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Uganda
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 252 reviews, 1172 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 220 reviews, 835 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 200 reviews, 707 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 154 reviews, 600 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 123 reviews, 466 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 128 reviews, 453 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 134 reviews, 395 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 116 reviews, 411 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 105 reviews, 395 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nairobi Intro, 86 reviews, 385 photos, 4 travelogues