""The pearl of Africa"" Top 5 Page for this destination Uganda by croisbeauty

Uganda Travel Guide: 1,222 reviews and 3,025 photos

"The pearl of Africa", let me check it first

Once upon the time maybe it was "the pearl of Africa", but not today.
Fact number one; Idi Amin Dada was here,
fact number two; the same president rules this country over 25 years now.
The consequences:
- Uganda is no longer worlds major cocoa supplier,
- there is no railway in the country,
- the menthality of the people is two centuries behind,
- the roads look alike to middleages.

Arrogant police

Actually, I haven't noticed too many police forces out in the streets, except for those who control the traffic. But than, during one early afternoon I was strolling around Market place and it happened to be the eye witness of extreme arrogancy and disregard by the local police. The streets around the Market place are usually owercrowded by the both people and cars. Fact is, Ugandans do not care much wheter their car parked properly or not. All the sudden I could hear the deafened siren coming out from the police vehicle which was leading the colone. It was big armoured vehicle, the kind which police usually use in the anti-terroristic actions. People out on the streets start to scream and run aside while the armoured vechicle continued without slackening. What happened next, see in my local customs tips.

It wasn't that bad experience afterall

After reading all my tips a friend of my ask me, was it all that bad? During typing I put on the paper some of my bitter experiences but had no idea it sounds that pesimistic. Fact is, I don't like rain during my travellings and if long time raining my spirit is pretty much down. In some of my tips I was very critical towards the locals and their menthality, but had no bad intentions at all. I know it can be changed very easily, need only small effort. Ugandans are pretty much relaxed, taking things the way they are and doing nothing in order to change or improve them. Most of them will tell, what can I do am alone, and that kind of answer made me feel bad.
On the other hand, they are very nice and friendly people, too bad they live in such a conditions. Cross my fingers for this kids hoping they'll have much better future than the present situation is.

• Pros:very friendly people
  • Cons:lack of democracy, ruined economy of the country
  • In a nutshell:Uganda need changes to become soon what it used to be before
  • Last visit to Uganda: Jul 2007
  • Intro Updated May 2, 2013

• Aug 27, 2008 at 8:02 PM

Hi could you give me the contact info for this place? Thanks!

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2007 at 3:44 PM

Hi Boris! It sounds like my early days in Russia! Quick thinking with swapping yr memory card before things might have got worse..Loved the pic of all those taxis...Greetings from a chilly Budapest.

• metteks's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2007 at 6:00 AM

Nice page about Uganda. It is a beautiful country.

• Squinchez's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2007 at 3:50 AM

wow! is it that bad!

croisbeauty

“do not hesitate, pack your bag and go, doesn't matter where”

Badges & Stats in Uganda