"Canada" Canada by Shara.Buchan
Canada Travel Guide: 41,358 reviews and 97,592 photos
Origin of the Name Canada
In 1535, two Indian Youths told Jacques Cartier about the route to "kanata." They were referring to the village of Stadacona; "kanata" was simply the Huron-Iroquois word for "village" or "settlement." But for want of another name, Cartier used "Canada" to refer not only to Stadacona (the site of present day Quebec City), but also to the entire area subject to its chief, Donnacona. The name was soon applied to a much larger area: maps in 1547 designated everything north of the St. Lawrence River as "Canada."Cartier also called the St. Lawrence River the "rivière de Canada", a name used until the early 1600s. By 1616, although the entire region was known as New France, the area along the great river of Canada and the Gulf of St. Lawrence was still called Canada.
Soon explorers and fur traders opened up territory to the west and to the south and the area depicted as "Canada" grew. In the early 1700s, the name referred to all lands in what is now the American Midwest and as far south as the present day Louisiana.
The first use of "Canada" as an official name came in 1791 when the Province of Quebec was divided into the colonies of Upper and Lower Canada. In 1841, the two Canadas were again united under one name, the Province of Canada. At the time of Confederation, the new country assumed the name of Canada
Patrick Lane 1939 Wild Horses Just to come once alone to these wild horses driving out of the high Rockies raw... more travel advice
Leonard Cohen 1943 For Anne With Annie gone, Whose Eyes to compare With the morning sun? Not that I did... more travel advice
- See All Last of the Facts About Canada
- See All Saskatchewan's Provincal Flower
- See All Quebec's Provincal...
- See All Lucy Maud Montgomery Author...
Shara.Buchan's Related Pages
Canada Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Canada - So much to do, so little time"
- "8000 km Coast-to-Coast (5000 miles)"
- "Canada..... from coast to coast"
- "Canada coast to coast tour"
- "PLEASURE IN CANADIAN WATERS!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Canada
- Hotels in Canada
- Transportation in Canada
- Nightlife in Canada
- Restaurants in Canada
- Shopping in Canada
- Warnings and Dangers in Canada
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Canada
- 413 Reviews
- 539 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Canada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Canada
Top 5 Pages
- Vancouver Intro, 75 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Canada Intro, 94 reviews, 93 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sutton Intro, 60 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edmonton Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Province of Alberta Intro, 54 reviews, 54 photos