"DJIBOUTI" Djibouti by Pakistaniguy
Djibouti Travel Guide: 194 reviews and 1,009 photos
How do i describe Djibouti ? expensive, unsafe and boring and this is what I've discovered about this country. Except that there are a couple of nice places to visit such as Lake Assal and the desert oasis close to Ethiopian border. If you have spare time & money, yes why not to visit Djibouti !
Djibouti is one of the most overpriced cities in the world. Djibouti is basically legalized theft on a large scale: you are overcharged for everything (i.e., make sure that you know the price of the drinks you order because a restaurant can easily charge you $10 for a coke). Taxis can easily ask for 10-20 times the regular price. Air conditioning is quite essential. Cheapest A/C hotel is Banadir ($25). The pestering of children in Ethiopia is replaced by the pestering of taxi drivers. The only good news is that it is very safe. You can easily change money in the streets.
Djibouti-Hargheisa (Somaliland) is served by at least two airlines (the horrible Djibouti Airlines and Daallo, $90 each way). Djibouti-Asmara is $150 with Daallo. Somaliland now requires a visa from tourists that must be obtained before arrival, despite the fact that no country recognizes Somaliland and therefore there are no embassies abroad.
A visa for Eritrea in Djibouti is $50 and takes a few hours.
- Pros:Landscape outside main towns and villages
- Cons:Djibouti city is not worth a visit
- In a nutshell:If you like desert & oasis then consider visiting Djibouti otherwise its waste of money.
I guess this hotel was the best was i saw in the whole country and not only in the capital, Djibouti City !!! Clean &... more travel advice
Pakistaniguy's Related Pages
Djibouti Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "IT'S HOT !"
- "Djibouti: Africa's Worst Tourist Trap"
- "Djibouti -- It does not get hotter than this"
- "Djibouti: land of contrast & good diving"
- "In A Different World"
- "Djibouti - Frowsty, Dirty, Costly but Comestible"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Djibouti
- Hotels in Djibouti
- Transportation in Djibouti
- Nightlife in Djibouti
- Restaurants in Djibouti
- Shopping in Djibouti
- Warnings and Dangers in Djibouti
- See All...
Explore the World
- Lone Pine
- Canary Islands
- Chalk River Hotels
- San Luis Reservoir State Recreation Area Hotels
- Johor Bahru
- Pulau Kukup
- Fort Walton Beach
- Lauderdale-by-the-Sea Hotels
- Bora-Bora Hotels
- Elgin Hotels
- Belvedere Island Hotels
- Pulau Pangkor
Badges & Stats in Djibouti
- 18 Reviews
- 148 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Djibouti?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Djibouti
- Posted in Travel Province of Quebec Forum "Montreal Transit System! Confusing?"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Scenes from the Djibouti City (Part II)"
- created a Djibouti Travelogue "Scenes from the Djibouti City (Part II)"
- Wrote a Review A Luxurious Accomodation Option in Djibouti Hotels
- Commented on one of hunwagner's Djibouti travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lahore Intro, 116 reviews, 141 photos, 5 travelogues
- Yemen Intro, 104 reviews, 145 photos, 5 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 114 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Qatar Intro, 68 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 59 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 49 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 54 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zürich Intro, 42 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Mykonos Intro, 33 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buncrana Intro, 35 reviews, 56 photos, 3 travelogues