"SANTORINI - See Most Spectacular Sights of Greece." Top 5 Page for this destination Fira by Pakistaniguy

Fira Travel Guide: 114 reviews and 494 photos

An Island where World's Biggest Explosion Occured

Welcome to The Best Page of Thira (mashAllah) here on VT.

I hope I've provided enough useful info so that you can easily plan your trip to Thira.

: 23rd November 2002 :

We (me & my friend Swiss_Spirit) flew from Greek Island of Mykonos to Santorini (Thira), on Aegean Air, which is a private greek airline but its quality of service is better than Olympic Airways. Our plane landed on Santorini International Airport at 7.30 a.m. As usually I took a few pictures of airport, the aircraft and runway :-) which you will be able to see in the different Travel Tips according to their catagories.

The first thing which i did after getting out of the airport was to have an advice from my Lonely Planet book on Greece :-) They wrote that the Taxis charge a fix amount for going to the city of Fira from the airport, which was 7.5 euros. I went to a Taxi Driver and asked the fare to Fira and he told me 10 euros. I got the clue that on this island bargaining rules are applied. so, I asked him if is ready to take us in 7.5 Euros. He agreed and took us to Fira, which is the main city of
Santorini Island. We got off from the Taxi at the Taxi stand and walked a bit to find a suitable hotel for a night. But we were taken by surperise that most of the youth hostels & hotels were closed due to the low season and the ones which were open were having their receptions closed. We asked a local and he told us that the hotel's reception will open at 9.00 a.m.

There was still one hour in 9.00 a.m so we decided to check a few more hotels. I took out my lonely planet book and found a pension house near by - Petro's Pension. It was run by a local family and i had a feeling that it must be open. We went there. Knocked the door. A lady came out and she showed us our room. The room was more than okay for us because it had a lot of facilities but we were thinking how much she would ask for this room. When i inquired the price she replied '25 Euros' because it is off season.... i knew that i should bargain. so, i asked her if it would be fine for her if we pay 20 Euros for tonite ? because we were looking for a room for backpacker travellers. She agreed :-) We took out a note of 20 Euros and gave her at once. Ah ! Thanks God, we finally found a room in
Santorini in off season......

You can see the pictures and read more details about our one day in
Santorini in the respective Travel Tips. Not to forget rating them so that I can judge how much did u enjoy reading my travel Diary of Santorini.

With Many Thanks
M. Umer Durrani

• Pros:Very historical, Famous for its sunset views.
  • Cons:Touristic... Some beaches are nice but... there are not superb beaches.
  • In a nutshell:You must visit ! :-)
  • Last visit to Fira: Nov 2002
  • Intro Updated Sep 12, 2003

• mustertal's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2006 at 1:29 PM

I'm going to Santorini inSeptember for my neice's wedding,looks lovely.

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2005 at 5:50 AM

Very good pages. When I eventually go to Greece, I plan to include Thira and Santorini.

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2005 at 8:25 AM

Nice job, here, Umer. I didn't go to Santorini, but I did go to Naxos. I highly recommend that next time you're in the neighbourhood.

• Orkaena's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2004 at 7:17 PM

Hi Umer, sorry, the paintings of Akrotiri aren't 400 BC, but 1.500 BC Anyway, great pix, you should visit the island in summer, believe me, unforgettable ;¬D)

• May 9, 2004 at 5:12 PM

Love the Poseidon. For Breakfast, if you are interested in a typical western type (non-continental) breakfast, try Mama's up the road from the main bus stop in Thira. Mama is great! She treats everybody like family.

• May 8, 2004 at 2:47 AM

Very fasinating picture of Sunset & gr8 information..I mean Gree ce is full of Ancient hitory & Tropical Islands as well..I've 2 plan my trip very soon then...innit!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2004 at 3:46 PM

an excellent page and wonderful pics ! Santorini is one of the most beautiful places in Greece !

• cadzand's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2003 at 12:20 PM

What a beauty ! Pictures everywhere. Wow I love that sunset pic.

• catalysta's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2003 at 12:06 PM

Most beautiful , very nice photography! Have been to a black sand beach in Washington state, near Mt. St. Helen, but never yet red sand.

• Janni67's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2003 at 3:48 AM

Great page and photos. You were on Santorini just 2 months after us ;)

Pakistaniguy

“Ambassador of Love, Peace and Happiness”

Badges & Stats in Fira