"SANTORINI - See Most Spectacular Sights of Greece." Top 5 Page for this destination Fira by Pakistaniguy
Fira Travel Guide: 114 reviews and 494 photos
: 23rd November 2002 :
We (me & my friend Swiss_Spirit) flew from Greek Island of Mykonos to Santorini (Thira), on Aegean Air, which is a private greek airline but its quality of service is better than Olympic Airways. Our plane landed on Santorini International Airport at 7.30 a.m. As usually I took a few pictures of airport, the aircraft and runway :-) which you will be able to see in the different Travel Tips according to their catagories.
The first thing which i did after getting out of the airport was to have an advice from my Lonely Planet book on Greece :-) They wrote that the Taxis charge a fix amount for going to the city of Fira from the airport, which was 7.5 euros. I went to a Taxi Driver and asked the fare to Fira and he told me 10 euros. I got the clue that on this island bargaining rules are applied. so, I asked him if is ready to take us in 7.5 Euros. He agreed and took us to Fira, which is the main city of Santorini Island. We got off from the Taxi at the Taxi stand and walked a bit to find a suitable hotel for a night. But we were taken by surperise that most of the youth hostels & hotels were closed due to the low season and the ones which were open were having their receptions closed. We asked a local and he told us that the hotel's reception will open at 9.00 a.m.
There was still one hour in 9.00 a.m so we decided to check a few more hotels. I took out my lonely planet book and found a pension house near by - Petro's Pension. It was run by a local family and i had a feeling that it must be open. We went there. Knocked the door. A lady came out and she showed us our room. The room was more than okay for us because it had a lot of facilities but we were thinking how much she would ask for this room. When i inquired the price she replied '25 Euros' because it is off season.... i knew that i should bargain. so, i asked her if it would be fine for her if we pay 20 Euros for tonite ? because we were looking for a room for backpacker travellers. She agreed :-) We took out a note of 20 Euros and gave her at once. Ah ! Thanks God, we finally found a room in Santorini in off season......
You can see the pictures and read more details about our one day in Santorini in the respective Travel Tips. Not to forget rating them so that I can judge how much did u enjoy reading my travel Diary of Santorini.
With Many Thanks
M. Umer Durrani
- Pros:Very historical, Famous for its sunset views.
- Cons:Touristic... Some beaches are nice but... there are not superb beaches.
- In a nutshell:You must visit ! :-)
The most interesting thing about this Church was its bells. This Church is right at the edge of Caldera in Oia Valley... more travel advice
We just stopped here to take a few pictures and make movie. It was a Sunset View point but we saw some magificant views... more travel advice
Pakistaniguy's Related Pages
Fira Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "SANTORINI - See Most Spectacular Sights of Greece."
- "Fira - The City of the Cliff"
- "FIRA - CHARMING CYCLADIC VILLAGE"
- "Chill time on the crater's edge"
- "Nice Place to Relax"
- "Beautiful Fira on Beautiful Santorini!!"
- "SANTORINI (THIRA)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fira
- Hotels in Fira
- Transportation in Fira
- Nightlife in Fira
- Restaurants in Fira
- Warnings and Dangers in Fira
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fira
- 28 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Fira?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fira
- Posted in Travel Province of Quebec Forum "Montreal Transit System! Confusing?"
- Commented on one of Petit_Prince's Fira travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Don't Miss The Fresh Seafood! "
- updated a Fira Travel Page "SANTORINI - See Most Spectacular Sights of Greece."
- Wrote a Review A Special Church in Oia Valley in Fira Off The Beaten Path
Photos in FiraSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lahore Intro, 116 reviews, 141 photos, 5 travelogues
- Yemen Intro, 104 reviews, 145 photos, 5 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 114 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Qatar Intro, 68 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 59 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 49 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 54 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zürich Intro, 42 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Mykonos Intro, 33 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buncrana Intro, 35 reviews, 56 photos, 3 travelogues