"A Wonderful Valley in the Hindukush" Top 5 Page for this destination Chitral by Pakistaniguy

Chitral Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 170 photos

Why Chitral ?

Me and my parents had an appointment in U.S Embassy in Islamabad and it was on Thursday. After the meeting over there, we were free. My parents wanted to come back to Lahore but i had my own plans ;-) I knew that i have Friday, Saturday and Sunday and i can easily be back on Sunday night or Monday morning to re-join my college.

So, i called my VT friends in Islamabad to tell them that i am going to Chitral by bus and for 2 days :-)))) They were shocked to hear that because Chitral is nearly 12 hours by bus and it means that one day will be used for just travelling. It was a like a challenge to me. Everyone thought so that it is not possible to go to such a far off place and see it and come back on a long weekend ! I accepted this challenge and i said good-bye to Islamabad.

I went to Rawalpindi Bus Station and got a bus for Dir. The bus left at around 8 pm and reached Dir at 12.00 noon ! It was a bumpy and very uneasy ride because of not only the roads are not good but because of my seat being exactly above the tyre of the Bus at the end :-)

After reaching Dir, i made a couple of hours stop-over, refreshed myself, had a lunch and some rest. It was a nice sunny day with the temperature not more than 24 C !

Dir is the starting point of the high mountain ranges. There are sections of greenary in Dir valley with the river flowing from the middle.

I got the further information about the road and journey ahead and left Dir at 3 p.m. This time i was in a Suzuki Double Cabin and there are many people sitting in the back portion, which was not covered and the clear sky could be seen. While, i was sitting behind the driver in the cabin of the car. I was told that it is just a 3.5 hours journey but this was much more than this !!!

The road condition for the first 20 mins after leaving Dir was okay but after that there was a 'path' and no road at all ! which means more bumpy ride ! God gracious ! i wasn't expecting it. but it was my destiny. After 2 hours the driver made a brief stopover at a street side small one-room cafe. It was a beautiful scene as the evening shadows were lenghtening and hindukush moutains were surrounding me from all directions. While, drinking Tea i asked a local about the journey ahead and he pointed his finger at the top of a moutain infront of us. He told me this is 'LOWARI PASS' and we have to go on the top of this moutain first and then on the other side.

I was so excited about it as i saw the mamoth Lowari Pass infront of my eyes. It looked like if Two Mountains have put arms on each other's shoulders and standing solid as a rock !

• Last visit to Chitral: Jun 2003
  • Intro Updated Oct 19, 2004

• tajbazik's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2007 at 6:06 AM

oh man ! what kind of crap things are you writting you have no idea and no info

• rsleisk's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2006 at 8:32 AM

A fascinating place! Great photos and commentary.

• MirkoZd's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2005 at 1:28 AM

thx for these beautifull photos.i really like them.this is my top 3 of places i wanna visit one day, but it is so far away from me....

• titti's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2003 at 3:36 PM

Happy birthday!!!!!!!!!!!! Wish you...mmmh ...a new trip to Italy??? ...and much more! Baci

• Oct 13, 2003 at 11:38 PM

In your must see activities in Chitral you have mentioned the fort and the polo ground but have written nothing on either. Could we ahve some of your comments on these two places please

Pakistaniguy

“Ambassador of Love, Peace and Happiness”

Badges & Stats in Chitral

Have you been to Chitral?

Photos in Chitral