"A Wonderful Valley in the Hindukush" Top 5 Page for this destination Chitral by Pakistaniguy
Chitral Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 174 photos
Me and my parents had an appointment in U.S Embassy in Islamabad and it was on Thursday. After the meeting over there, we were free. My parents wanted to come back to Lahore but i had my own plans ;-) I knew that i have Friday, Saturday and Sunday and i can easily be back on Sunday night or Monday morning to re-join my college.
So, i called my VT friends in Islamabad to tell them that i am going to Chitral by bus and for 2 days :-)))) They were shocked to hear that because Chitral is nearly 12 hours by bus and it means that one day will be used for just travelling. It was a like a challenge to me. Everyone thought so that it is not possible to go to such a far off place and see it and come back on a long weekend ! I accepted this challenge and i said good-bye to Islamabad.
I went to Rawalpindi Bus Station and got a bus for Dir. The bus left at around 8 pm and reached Dir at 12.00 noon ! It was a bumpy and very uneasy ride because of not only the roads are not good but because of my seat being exactly above the tyre of the Bus at the end :-)
After reaching Dir, i made a couple of hours stop-over, refreshed myself, had a lunch and some rest. It was a nice sunny day with the temperature not more than 24 C !
Dir is the starting point of the high mountain ranges. There are sections of greenary in Dir valley with the river flowing from the middle.
I got the further information about the road and journey ahead and left Dir at 3 p.m. This time i was in a Suzuki Double Cabin and there are many people sitting in the back portion, which was not covered and the clear sky could be seen. While, i was sitting behind the driver in the cabin of the car. I was told that it is just a 3.5 hours journey but this was much more than this !!!
The road condition for the first 20 mins after leaving Dir was okay but after that there was a 'path' and no road at all ! which means more bumpy ride ! God gracious ! i wasn't expecting it. but it was my destiny. After 2 hours the driver made a brief stopover at a street side small one-room cafe. It was a beautiful scene as the evening shadows were lenghtening and hindukush moutains were surrounding me from all directions. While, drinking Tea i asked a local about the journey ahead and he pointed his finger at the top of a moutain infront of us. He told me this is 'LOWARI PASS' and we have to go on the top of this moutain first and then on the other side.
I was so excited about it as i saw the mamoth Lowari Pass infront of my eyes. It looked like if Two Mountains have put arms on each other's shoulders and standing solid as a rock !
Pakistaniguy's Related Pages
Chitral Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Chitral, a Pearl in Hindukush"
- "Chitral Festival"
- "The Chitral Valleys"
- "Visiting the Kalash Valleys"
- "A Wonderful Valley in the Hindukush"
- "Visiting the Kalash"
- "Chitral, Gateway to Kalash Valleys"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chitral
- Hotels in Chitral
- Transportation in Chitral
- Nightlife in Chitral
- Restaurants in Chitral
- Shopping in Chitral
- Warnings and Dangers in Chitral
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chitral
- 19 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Chitral?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chitral
- Posted in Travel Province of Quebec Forum "Montreal Transit System! Confusing?"
- updated a Chitral Travel Page "A Wonderful Valley in the Hindukush"
- Commented on one of SirajUlmulk's Chitral travel pages
- Wrote a Review The Worst Road I have ever travelled on about By Car in Chitral Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Worst Road I have ever travelled on"
Photos in ChitralSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lahore Intro, 116 reviews, 141 photos, 5 travelogues
- Yemen Intro, 104 reviews, 145 photos, 5 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 114 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Qatar Intro, 68 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 59 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 49 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 54 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zürich Intro, 42 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Mykonos Intro, 33 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buncrana Intro, 35 reviews, 56 photos, 3 travelogues