"KHEWRA - Famous for World's 2nd Largest Salt Mine" Khewra by Pakistaniguy

Day trip to Salt Mines, Rohtas fort & Gujrat

First Visit: January 2004
Second Visit: December 2004

01.01.2004:

It was a cold and foggy winter morning in Lahore. Alarm woke me up at 6.20 a.m. I slept late because it was new year’s night and this was the first morning of 2004. I got ready and called my other friends to get ready at their places. At 6.45 a.m, Sonu came to pick me, Riz and Christof on the Van which he arranged for 3000 Rs. for the day trip (without fuel charges). We left at 7.20 a.m and first went to shadman colony to pick Joe and Fawad. They were also ready and waiting for the trip. At 7.45 a.m, we were ready for the New Year’s first trip !

I was the one who was suppose to give directions to the driver. So, I told him to exit Lahore from Thoker Niaz Baig side along with the canal onto the motorway M5 going towards Islamabad. He did the same and at 8.13 a.m we were on the Motorway. I directed the the driver to drive straight on for next 1.5 hours and then start following the signs for the exit towards “Pind Dadan Khan”. After this we all fell asleep. We all woke up at around 10insh when our van was exiting the motorway. This was the first time I was about to go to the upper region of River Jhelum. At around 11.00 a.m we reached the Salt Mines in Khewra via Pind Dadan Khan.

Exploring the Khewra Salt Mine

It was the time to get out of the Van and see the world’s oldest and second largest Salt Mines present on Earth ! but we all were a bit thirsty. So, after having drinks we went to the main office there and requested for the permission to enter the Salt mines. There was a ticket for 30 Rs. each for Pakistani adults, 15 Rs. each for Pakistani Students and 6 US$ each for all foreigners J After getting the tickets, we were given a guide to show us the salt mines and he asked us to follow him always. We came out of the ticket office and crossed an old brick bridge over a dried river in the salt range mountains and continued walking along with the thin rail track, which was there to carry the tourist train as well as the train to carry out the salt from the mines.

Isn't it The World's Most Beautiful Mine ?

Finally, we entered the Salt Mines, which were around 15 ft high and 20 ft wide. We were walking along the rail track and the lights all along the way lighted the mine. We were going through mixed feelings as we continued to walk. The guide told us the several things about the history of the Salt Mines. He was really helpful. After a continued walk of around 1.5 Km we saw the first Salt Rock. The salt was of various colours from white to pink. The guide put his torch on the walls of the mines to show us different types of the salts. It was amazing to see that there are different kinds of salts existing together.

• Last visit to Khewra: Dec 2004
  • Intro Updated Dec 5, 2004

Pakistaniguy

“Ambassador of Love, Peace and Happiness”

Badges & Stats in Khewra