"QUETTA" Quetta by Pakistaniguy
Quetta Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 15 photos
Crossing the Pakistan-Iran Border:
I have crossed the Pakistan-Iran border TWICE! firstly to go to Iran and secondly for the way back from Iran to Pakistan.
The true situation is following:
Quetta is far from the Pakistani border town of Taftan. It is easy to reach Quetta either by train, by bus or by plane from any major city of Pakistan. There are good connections to reach Quetta but from Quetta to the border, i will only recommend you to travel by bus. There are 2/3 bus companies which operate buses from Quetta to the border town of TAFTAN. Pak-Iran border crossing is only possible through Taftan-Zahidan border, from 09:00 hrs. to 17:00 hrs. with break from 13:00 hrs. to 14:00 hrs. Do not forget that there is a time difference of either 30 mins or 90 mins between Pakistan & Iranian Standard Timings. Several buses and coaches daily leave from Taftan to Quetta 634 km – 16/18 hours). Approximate fare is around US$ 09 per person on coach and US$ 07 per person on bus. There is a bus company called 'SADABAHAR' this is the most reliable one and every single person in Quetta knows where is its main bus station so asap u r in Quetta simply go to the Richshaw driver and ask him to take u there. It is a small city and it won't take u more than 15 minutes to be there.
The region between Quetta and the border is all desserted. There are small towns but only after 100 kms. So, it is not advisable for foreigners to go there on their personal cars.
Why not to travel by train?
1. There is only 1 train in 15 days!!!
2. It takes 27 hours! (You loose a lot of time because the train goes over the moutains with a speed of 30kms somtimes!!!
3. Economy Class fare with berth is approximately US$ 10 and First Class Sleeper is US$ 13 per person. Another Passenger (slow) train leaves Taftan every Thursday for Quetta. The fare is more expensive than the bus fare.
How is the border itself?
The border area is safe. Just do not pay extra for this or that because there are a few touts around who might come to you to offer a taxi ride from the Bus stop in TAFTAN to the real border which is just 1 KM away and they ask u to pay 3-4 US$ for this which is totally unfair so do NOT get a taxi to the border once u r in Taftan.
Any other tips?
The money exchangers around the border give good exchange rate for Pakistani Rupees as well as Iranian Tumman/Rials (1 Tumman = 10 Rials) make sure in which way your count the money, either in Tummans or Rials, you get it right ;)
Asap you cross over into Iran, there are cheap SHARED & PRIVATE taxis standing there, which will take about 4000 (i forgot either tummans or rials) to take u to Zahedan in 30-40 mins. They drive like a rocket ;) don't worry everything will be alright even if they close their eyes they are masters of those roads.
Zahedan is as big as Quetta and you can catch a bus or a plane from here to Tehran or anywhere else in Iran. The bus to Tehran takes about 24 hrs and i have TRIED IT ! :) It is long but it's okay. ;)
So, i hope i have told my heart out if i've still missed something please feel free to ask.
Pakistaniguy's Related Pages
Quetta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "QUETTA heaven on earth for those who understand"
- "do you know these people?"
- "I'm neither Pakistani nor Aphgan..."
- "The Enchantment Of Chaos"
- "Quetta Kahani"
- See All...
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Quetta
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Quetta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Quetta
Photos in QuettaSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lahore Intro, 116 reviews, 141 photos, 5 travelogues
- Yemen Intro, 104 reviews, 145 photos, 5 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 114 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Qatar Intro, 68 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 59 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 49 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 54 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zürich Intro, 42 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Mykonos Intro, 33 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buncrana Intro, 35 reviews, 56 photos, 3 travelogues