"Pakistan - India Border" Wagah by Pakistaniguy
Wagah Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 30 photos
The final frontier, Wagah (30 Kms from Lahore and 28 km from Amritsar) is the only border crossing between India and Pakistan-- two hostile neighbours who share the same past. There is a grand, dramatic spectacle at the check-post point every evening at sundown, a show of power that symbolises the relationship between the two countries. The changing of the guards and the ceremonial lowering of the flags ceremony is carried out with great pomp and rivalry with visitors from both sides of the border cheering them on.
For about 30 minutes before sunset the guards parade in front of the gate in immaculate costumes. The flags of each country are then lowered and the gates are slammed shut. It can get quite crowded by the evening so move towards the VIP section near the gate for the best view. The border opens daily from 9 am to 3 pm on Pakistani Side and from 10 am to 4 pm on Indian Side.
To get there from Pakistani Side:
Take a bus no. 4 from Lahore city railway station and it will drop you at the Wagha border in about 75 mins time approximately.
To get there from Indian Side:
Take a bus to Attari from Amritsar (Rs 11, one hour journey every 15 minutes) and then switch to a rickshaw for a 2km ride to the border. The last bus for Amritsar leaves Attari at 6 pm, so if you want to watch the evening ceremony take a cab back (Rs 50).
Do not cross the border without a proper Visa and make sure your Indian or PakistaniVisa allows multiple entries. To cross, pass through the customs and walk the remaining 200m to the actual line.
Time: 1 1/4 hrs
Mode: Bus No 4 (from Railway Station) Money: 11 Pakistani Rupees
Time: 10 mins
Money: 20 Indian Rupees
Time: 1 1/4 hours
Money: 12 Indian Rupees
Time: 7 1/2 hours
Mode: Train (Reserved 2nd Class Seat)
Money: 124 Indian Rupees
It is a small shop and it is opens at around after noon time. You can buy Pakistani flag, badges and other things... more travel advice
The Most interesting thing about Wagha is its Flag Ceremony. It happens twice everyday. In the morning when the sun... more travel advice
Pakistaniguy's Related Pages
Wagah Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pakistan - India Border"
- "Wagah Border"
- "Wagah Border"
- "Crossing the Border"
- "Border between Pakistan and India"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wagah
- Transportation in Wagah
- Nightlife in Wagah
- Restaurants in Wagah
- Shopping in Wagah
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wagah
- 6 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Wagah?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wagah
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lahore Intro, 116 reviews, 141 photos, 5 travelogues
- Yemen Intro, 104 reviews, 145 photos, 5 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 114 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Qatar Intro, 68 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 59 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 49 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 54 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zürich Intro, 42 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Mykonos Intro, 33 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buncrana Intro, 35 reviews, 56 photos, 3 travelogues