"Gijón (Xixon), Asturias" Gijón by TinyTuck
Gijón Travel Guide: 83 reviews and 256 photos
Gijón is with its 250,000 inhabitants the biggest city of the state of Asturias in the North of Spain. (Oviedo, the capital, is a bit smaller.)
Gijón is located at the Atlantic coast and is framed by green mountains. It has got a long beach called Playa de San Lorenzo (with all those big appartment blocks behind it it´s erything but idylle, but hey... it´s a beach!), and a nice and lively beach promenade with cliffs and some interesting sculptures. Moreover, there´s an important industrial port with another smaller beach called Playa de Poniente. You can swim from about May till September, depending on your sensitiveness to cold water, and do all kinds of water sports.
Gijón has got a great bar scene and crazy nightlife which is concentrated around Plaza Mayor and in the beach area, especially in summer time.
The older part of town, Cimadevilla, is located on a spit of land between beach and port (as on the picture). It´s pretty small, and there´s not too much to see since big parts of the city were destroyed in the civil war. At it´s northern tip there´s a park-like area up on a little hill called Cerro Santa Catalina, from where you have a great view over Gijón.
It´s an industrial city, so don´t expect too much beauty.
However, you´ll like it here!
Don´t forget to try the Sidra, which has got a big traditon in Asturias, is only offered in so-called "Sidrerías" and has got to be served in a very unique way...
- Pros:Beaches, water sports, good nightlife, beautiful surroundings
- Cons:The weather, industries, old town largely destroyed
The Secret of the Sidra: When you enter an Asturian 'Sidraría' you will notice a weird smell, wood shavings on the... more travel advice
Stroll around the historical center and walk up to the Cerro Santa Catalina from where you´ll have a great view over the... more travel advice
TinyTuck's Related Pages
Gijón Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gijón, my home"
- "GIJON- ASTURIAS A NATURAL PARADISE"
- "Gijon (Xixon)"
- "asturnut's Gijon/Xixon Page"
- "Gijon and some little town near there!!"
- "Gijón (Xixon), Asturias"
- "Rumbero's new Gijon Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gijón
- Hotels in Gijón
- Transportation in Gijón
- Nightlife in Gijón
- Restaurants in Gijón
- Warnings and Dangers in Gijón
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Gijón
- 6 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Gijón?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gijón
Photos in GijónSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uganda Intro, 47 reviews, 84 photos, 5 travelogues
- Aachen Intro, 35 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 29 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Monterrey Intro, 17 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Iowa Intro, 10 reviews, 58 photos, 7 travelogues
- Düsseldorf Intro, 22 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oviedo Intro, 5 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues
- Mendoza Intro, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Jaisalmer Intro, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 15 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (72)
Latest Gijón hotel reviews
- Hotel Castilla
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 23, 2013