"Sweetberry's Temple Page" Temple by Sweetberry1
Temple Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 12 photos
Temple is located south of Waco on Interstate 35 in Central Texas, 67 miles north of Austin.
As many other western towns in the 1800’s, Temple was founded by the railroad. The Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railroad Company in June 1881.
Before becoming Temple, the community was known by many names, some of which were: Mudville, Tanglefoot and Ratsville - all names due to local problems from the prairie soil and the abundance of large rodents in the area.
Once more families came to Temple it began to grow quite rapidly. During this time it was known as the Prairie Queen and Progressive Temple as well as the City of Trees because of a Mr. Goodrich Jones, who is known as the father of Arbor Day in Texas.
Today, Temple is thriving, just to look around at all the modern buildings, shows this well. But you also sense that it hasn't always been easy.
- Pros:Lovely town.. interesting.
- Cons:Didn't really spend enough time here.
- In a nutshell:Would certainly visit again..
In my opinion, it would be best to have a car if you plan to travel in this area. There are flights into Temple, and... more travel advice
Temple was named for Santa Fe's Chief construction engineer, Bernard Moore Temple.. One of Temple's key assets is its... more travel advice
Sweetberry1's Related Pages
Temple Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Temple
- Transportation in Temple
- Nightlife in Temple
- Restaurants in Temple
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Temple
- 10 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Temple?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Temple
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hervey Bay Intro, 82 reviews, 101 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geelong Intro, 66 reviews, 83 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 60 reviews, 62 photos
- Killeen Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- Honolulu Intro, 41 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 40 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 49 reviews, 50 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 47 reviews, 47 photos
- Dallas Intro, 28 reviews, 29 photos
- Texas Intro, 25 reviews, 27 photos