"Sweetberry's Dallas Page" Dallas by Sweetberry1
Dallas Travel Guide: 1,373 reviews and 2,542 photos
In 1839, John Neely Bryan, a lawyer from Tennessee, wandered into this area. He was impressed with what he believed to be the perfect ingredients for a trading post and eventually a town.
Raw land, and plenty of it, Indians, with whom to do business, and ofcourse, the river.
Bryan went back to Tennessee to finalize his affairs, and he returned to Dallas in 1841. He laid claim to 640 acres and sketched out a town, designating a courthouse square and 20 streets.
Gradually, the young city grew. A can-do spirit helped to bring: the railroads to the area in the 1870s, the Federal Reserve Bank in 1914, Southern Methodist University in 1915, Dallas Love Field Airport in 1927, the Texas Centennial Exposition in 1936, Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport in 1973 and the Republican National Convention in 1984.
Today, Dallas is the No. 1 visitor destination in Texas. As the southwest's leading business and financial center, it boasts the largest wholesale market in the world, and lays claim to being one of the top convention cities in the United States.
- Pros:Big, exciting city..
- Cons:Traffic is unbelievable..
- In a nutshell:A City that has it all.. A must see destination..
The Chapel of Thanksgiving sits in Thanksgiving Square which was opened in 1977. The Square has courtyards and fountains... more travel advice
The Pegasus sign has always been aligned with the Mobil Oil Company as their signature, and before them when they were... more travel advice
Sweetberry1's Related Pages
Dallas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Dallas"
- "Dallas,Texas--Big, Bold and Friendly!!"
- "1997 Convention to 2006 Frisco grandchildren visit"
- "Goin' through the Big D and I mean Dallas!"
- "Dallas Texas"
- "Sweetberry's Dallas Page"
- "btex's Dallas Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dallas
- Hotels in Dallas
- Transportation in Dallas
- Nightlife in Dallas
- Restaurants in Dallas
- Shopping in Dallas
- Warnings and Dangers in Dallas
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dallas
- 28 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 30 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Dallas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dallas
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hervey Bay Intro, 82 reviews, 101 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geelong Intro, 66 reviews, 83 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 60 reviews, 62 photos
- Killeen Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- Honolulu Intro, 41 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 40 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 49 reviews, 50 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 47 reviews, 47 photos
- Dallas Intro, 28 reviews, 29 photos
- Texas Intro, 25 reviews, 27 photos