"Sweetberry's Copperas Cove Page" Copperas Cove by Sweetberry1

Copperas Cove Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 6 photos

Copperas Cove

Copperas Cove has a rich history, beginning with settlement in the 1840's, soon after Texas declared its independence. In the late 1800's, people came to Cove for the prime cattle grazing land and the use of the Santa Fe Railroad. The natural basin formed by the five surrounding hills provided a gathering place for their cattle. In the early 1900's, people settled here for commerce and farming.

Today, Copperas Cove is part of the large military and business activity in the area.

Copperas Cove location:
Approximately 60 miles north of the capital city of Austin and 50 miles south of Waco. Copperas Cove borders Fort Hood to the west. Access to the post is from IH-35 to U.S.Highway 190 West, at Belton, toward Killeen.
Stats:
The population of Copperas Cove is approximately 24,079 (1990).
The approximate number of families is 9,307 (1990).

The distance from Copperas Cove to Washington DC is 1331 miles. The distance to the Texas state capital is 56 miles. (as the crow flies) but we drove, so it was a little further than that ;-)
To Killeen... Just down the road a little way.. LOL..

The first time I went to Copperas Cove, was quite by accident.
I wasn't supposed to be there at all. I had taken my friends daughter for a dental appointment, and she was navigating, as I didn't really know the place that well.
Anyway, her navigation got me into the wrong lane, on the wrong highway, and heading in the wrong direction. So, that is how I ended up in Copperas Cove.
The next time was planned, and you get no medals for guessing who wasn't driving, ha,ha...
We drove around just site-seeing for a while, and stopped to do some shopping at Walmart.

I have a friend here in Australia, who used to live in Cove. So we also stopped by her old house. She met a wonderful Aussie guy, and they are now happily married, and living in Australia. (just another 'online meeting' success story.)
I hear that they do happen... Sometimes... ;-)

• Pros:Lovely town..
  • In a nutshell:I didn't really spend enough time here...
  • Last visit to Copperas Cove: Sep 2000
  • Intro Updated Jul 27, 2004

Sweetberry1

“"Experience.. Is the best teacher"”

Badges & Stats in Copperas Cove

Have you been to Copperas Cove?

Latest Activity in Copperas Cove