"Sweetberry's Belton Page." Belton by Sweetberry1
Belton Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 21 photos
Belton is situated along the banks of the Leon River, in the rapidly growing central region of Texas.
It is on Interstate 35 near the geographic center of the state, approximately 135 miles south of Dallas/Fort Worth and 60 miles north of Austin. Also in the close proximity of Killeen, Fort Hood, and Temple.
Local topography varies from rolling plains to wooded hills with two large lakes just ten minutes from downtown.
In 1850, the new pioneer town of Belton, (first named Nolandville which was later changed to Belton. (1851)
The town was laid out in blocks, streets, and lots with the courthouse public square in the center.
It was designated County seat for the newly organized Bell County. Incorporated in 1852, it was the only town in the County and was the last place of civilization seen by the pioneers heading West...
In 1858, the County commissioners built a new courthouse, spending $14,000 for a two-story limestone building replacing the first courthouse which had become completely inadequate.
Bell county residents opposed the new edifice, and they voted out of office every commissioner, replacing them with more conservative men. It was 26 years before a third courthouse, the one presently in use, was approved and built.
Belton and Bell County were named after Peter Bell. Bell was a Colonel in the Civil War, but he was a Mexican War Veteran, and before that, a San Jacinto Veteran. In his spare time he was also a Texas Ranger, a Congressional Representative and a Governor.
- In a nutshell:Great place to come and relax, especially by the beautiful Lakes, Belton and Stillhouse.
Stillhouse Hollow Reservoir.. another nearby area that is a must see. Chalk Ridge Falls, is located below the dam of... more travel advice
There are many areas for camping in the region. Parks with shady areas, bbq's, as well as other amenities, all set by... more travel advice
Sweetberry1's Related Pages
Belton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sweetberry's Belton Page."
- "Good Ol' Belton"
- "Basaic Belton Page"
- "June 19, 2013"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Belton
- 8 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Belton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Belton
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hervey Bay Intro, 82 reviews, 101 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geelong Intro, 66 reviews, 83 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 60 reviews, 62 photos
- Killeen Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- Honolulu Intro, 41 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 40 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 49 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 47 reviews, 47 photos
- Dallas Intro, 28 reviews, 29 photos
- Texas Intro, 25 reviews, 27 photos