"Sweetberry's Australia Page" Australia by Sweetberry1
Australia Travel Guide: 45,803 reviews and 117,325 photos
Full country name: Commonwealth of Australia
Area: 7,682,300 sq km
Population: 19.5 million
Capital city: Canberra (pop: 313,000)
People: 94% European descent, 4% Asian, 1.5% Aboriginal
Languages: English, Aboriginal, European, Arabic and Asian languages)
Religion: 75% Christian, 1% Muslim, 1% Buddhist, 0.5% Jewish
Government: Independent member of the British Commonwealth
Prime Minister: John Howard
Governor-General: Dr Peter Hollingworth.
Most people have a particular image of Australia, such as the Opera House, or Uluru (Ayers Rock). Yet these famous icons just don't do justice to the richness of Australia's natural beauty, it's treasures and its cultural diversity.
Australia offers a wealth of travel experiences, from the vastness of the outback, to the wonder and beauty of the Great Barrier Reef, the Islands, the cosmopolitan cities of Sydney and Melbourne, and some of the best beaches in the world.
Visitors expecting to see an opera in Sydney one night and meet Crocodile Dundee the next will have to re-think their grasp of geography in this huge country. It is this sheer vastness, and the friction between the ancient land steeped in Aboriginal lore and the New World cultures being heaped upon it, which gives Australia much of its character.
If you're coming from Europe or the USA, Australia is going to look pretty cheap.
Food, in particular, is great value. Accommodation is also reasonably priced, and if you're staying in hostels or on-site caravans or camping, and mostly making your own meals you could get by on about US$20 to US$40 a day.
Travel will be your biggest expense distances are long, so if you're moving around a bit, eating out once or twice a day and staying in budget hotels, plan for around US$50 - $60 a day.
Things are changing around the world, and also here in Australia.. The above tip is now a little outdated, as prices/living expenses have risen quite a lot in recent times.
Food.. and petrol/gas.. are now quite a bit more expensive, than it was 2 or 3 years ago. Budget accommodation seems to be least effected by the recent price rises, but overall, expect to pay more for daily expenses.
- Pros:Friendly people, lots to see and do here, Beaches, Islands, Reef, Rainforest, Outback, Desert, Beautiful Cities...etc...
- Cons:This is probably an individual thing..
- In a nutshell:BIG.. and well worth exploring.
The Beach houses in Maroochydore, on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland, are 2 or 3 bedroom apartments. Fully self... more travel advice
Rugby would have to be a favorite in Queensland... much like Aussie Rules in Victoria... you can go to a live match, or... more travel advice
- Smart Traveller Information
- Excellent Resturants in Australia
- See All Gemfields
- See All Concerts
- Depends on the Season
Sweetberry1's Related Pages
Australia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Down Under"
- "Australia - you're standing in it"
- "♫ I COME FROM A LAND DOWN-UNDER ♫"
- "AUSTRALIA PAGE IS DEDICATED TO THE ANCIENTS...."
- "Down Under Roundtrip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Australia
- Hotels in Australia
- Transportation in Australia
- Nightlife in Australia
- Restaurants in Australia
- Shopping in Australia
- Warnings and Dangers in Australia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Australia
- 662 Reviews
- 830 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 39 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Australia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Australia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hervey Bay Intro, 82 reviews, 101 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geelong Intro, 66 reviews, 83 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 60 reviews, 62 photos
- Killeen Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- Honolulu Intro, 41 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 40 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 49 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 47 reviews, 47 photos
- Dallas Intro, 28 reviews, 29 photos
- Texas Intro, 25 reviews, 27 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (67)
Top Australia hotels
- Gold Coast Hotels
- 836 Reviews - 1796 Photos
- Sydney Hotels
- 5768 Reviews - 13444 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3372 Reviews - 7591 Photos
- Perth Hotels
- 2291 Reviews - 4821 Photos
- Adelaide Hotels
- 979 Reviews - 2129 Photos
- Surfers Paradise Hotels
- 171 Reviews - 346 Photos
- Port Douglas Hotels
- 227 Reviews - 586 Photos
- Cairns Hotels
- 866 Reviews - 2193 Photos
- Brisbane Hotels
- 1645 Reviews - 3655 Photos
- Canberra Hotels
- 886 Reviews - 2275 Photos
- Geelong Hotels
- 318 Reviews - 667 Photos
- Caloundra Hotels
- 53 Reviews - 113 Photos
- Hamilton Island Hotels
- 143 Reviews - 417 Photos
- Coffs Harbour Hotels
- 250 Reviews - 567 Photos
- Airlie Beach Hotels
- 186 Reviews - 727 Photos