"Sweetberry's Bendigo Page." Top 5 Page for this destination Bendigo by Sweetberry1
Bendigo Travel Guide: 106 reviews and 238 photos
Bendigo is located in the geographic center of Victoria... 150kl. north west of Melbourne.
This city is a very popular destination for visitors to regional Victoria.
Located on the northern fringe of the Great Dividing Range, means Bendigo enjoys a warm Mediterranean climate, avoiding extremes in weather...
Much of Victoria was opened up with the discovery of gold in its Western and Northern areas in the 1850's, and Bendigo is one example of the magnificent cities which sprang up around the mines.
From 1851 to 1954, when the last gold was extracted from the underground mines, Bendigo produced 25 million ounces of the precious substance.
When the gold ran out they established market gardens, tailor shops, gambling houses, hotels and shops and stayed on.
The cosmopolitan mix which the goldfields attracted has left Bendigo with a rich heritage. Irish, Germans, Chinese, Cornish and Canadians all contributed to the culture of the city and were responsible for many of the city's fine buildings and impressive statues.
- Pros:Big city, but not too big. Lots of History and Culture.
- Cons:Can't think of any...
- In a nutshell:Can make for a great day trip from Melbourne..
Visit the Bendigo Information Center, they will give you a wealth of information, and direct you to any places of... more travel advice
The Chinese Temple was built on a hill at Emu Point in the 1860's of hand-made bricks and red-painted timber. It is... more travel advice
Sweetberry1's Related Pages
Bendigo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bendigo, the city built with gold"
- "Sweetberry's Bendigo Page."
- "THE HISTORIC GOLD RUSH CITY OF BENDIGO"
- "Keeweechic's Bendigo"
- "Golden past, golden future"
- "BENDIGO......DRAGON CITY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bendigo
- Hotels in Bendigo
- Transportation in Bendigo
- Restaurants in Bendigo
- Shopping in Bendigo
- Warnings and Dangers in Bendigo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bendigo
- 10 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Bendigo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bendigo
Photos in BendigoSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hervey Bay Intro, 82 reviews, 101 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geelong Intro, 66 reviews, 83 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 60 reviews, 62 photos
- Killeen Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- Honolulu Intro, 41 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 40 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 49 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 47 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 28 reviews, 29 photos
- Texas Intro, 25 reviews, 27 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (67)
Latest Bendigo hotel reviews
- Comfort Inn Colonial
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 1, 2013
- Alexandra Place
- 56 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 27, 2013
- Quality Resort All Seasons
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 14, 2013
- Comfort Inn Central Deborah
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013
- Bendigo Backpacker
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 23, 2013
- Comfort Inn Shamrock
- 119 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Cathedral Terrace Bed & Breakfast
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 6, 2012
- Quest Bendigo
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- McIvor Motor Inn & Lotus Convention Centre
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 3, 2013