"Sweetberry's Dubbo Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Dubbo by Sweetberry1

Dubbo Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 84 photos

Dubbo..

John Oxley's expeditions of 1817 and 1818 noted the rich potential of the area we now call Dubbo, for grazing and agriculture..
In 1828, Robert Venour Dulhunty, took up land in this area, naming his property, ?Dubbo?, Aboriginal word for red earth.
By 1847, Dubbo had a local store, the Carrier Arms, a courthouse, gaol and police hut. It was proclaimed a village in November 1849.

Dubbo City is situated right in the centre of New South Wales, and within easy reach from most of the eastern interior and seaboard of Australia.
A thriving and prosperous city, Dubbo is home to a rapidly expanding resident population and is well serviced to provide for the half million plus visitors that come each year.

I have visited Dubbo many times over the past 14 years, mostly it was a drive through on one of my many trips between Victoria and Queensland. But there were also times when I stayed overnight.
My first visit to this city was on a sweltering hot day in January 1991, when we first moved to Queensland.
We stopped at this park, (picture above) and almost didn't want to continue the trip.. It was so nice cooling down under the shade of the lovely big trees.
Our 3 dogs, 1 cat, and a Galah, (feathered kind) also enjoyed this respite from the cars..

• Pros:Lovely city to visit.. Has lots to see and do..
  • Cons:Just way too far from the beaches..
  • In a nutshell:Just way too far from the beaches...
  • Last visit to Dubbo: Oct 2003
  • Intro Updated Jul 19, 2004

• lou31's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2006 at 6:04 AM

Another good page. Loved the pic of the canola fields. Reminds me of the UK. Cheers...

• wayneconnor's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2006 at 5:00 PM

Yes, nice photos. Glad you enjoyed Dubbo! I live in Dubbo and have my own tourist page, do you mind if I use a couple of your shots on my page at http://www.dubbo.org Wayne

• Dec 17, 2004 at 5:24 AM

Like the detailed info' in your intro & some good acurrate tips about my hometown. Come visit us again.

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2004 at 3:55 AM

Dubbo definitely is worth a visit. I was amazed to find that there are even a number of local wineries, but unfortunately didn't get a chance to visit any. Maybe next time.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2004 at 6:54 AM

Great page and I love all the great tips! You take some wonderful photographs!:-)

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2004 at 9:19 AM

Very colorful pictures and good page!

• craic's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2003 at 11:43 PM

Thanks for a good Dubbo page.

• Janni67's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2003 at 2:37 PM

That field was so beautiful! Btw, I had a penpal in Wagga Wagga maybe 10-15 yrs ago... wonder how her life turned out :)

• Braveheart.southafrr's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2003 at 6:13 PM

great new page susie lee youre getting better and better .kenneth

• eden_teuling's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2003 at 12:05 PM

Hey Canola isn't in my dict.!! must gave been impressing and uplifting seeing all those fields....nice page, thanks Susie! bes/elisabeth

Sweetberry1

“"Experience.. Is the best teacher"”

Badges & Stats in Dubbo