"Sweetberry's Dubbo Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Dubbo by Sweetberry1
Dubbo Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 112 photos
John Oxley's expeditions of 1817 and 1818 noted the rich potential of the area we now call Dubbo, for grazing and agriculture..
In 1828, Robert Venour Dulhunty, took up land in this area, naming his property, ?Dubbo?, Aboriginal word for red earth.
By 1847, Dubbo had a local store, the Carrier Arms, a courthouse, gaol and police hut. It was proclaimed a village in November 1849.
Dubbo City is situated right in the centre of New South Wales, and within easy reach from most of the eastern interior and seaboard of Australia.
A thriving and prosperous city, Dubbo is home to a rapidly expanding resident population and is well serviced to provide for the half million plus visitors that come each year.
I have visited Dubbo many times over the past 14 years, mostly it was a drive through on one of my many trips between Victoria and Queensland. But there were also times when I stayed overnight.
My first visit to this city was on a sweltering hot day in January 1991, when we first moved to Queensland.
We stopped at this park, (picture above) and almost didn't want to continue the trip.. It was so nice cooling down under the shade of the lovely big trees.
Our 3 dogs, 1 cat, and a Galah, (feathered kind) also enjoyed this respite from the cars..
- Pros:Lovely city to visit.. Has lots to see and do..
- Cons:Just way too far from the beaches..
- In a nutshell:Just way too far from the beaches...
As far back as I can remember, Dubbo has always been a very popular city to visit. For this reason, it is wise to make... more travel advice
Travelling from South to North, I passed through some of this countries finest towns and cities. Wagga Wagga is just... more travel advice
Sweetberry1's Related Pages
Dubbo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HOME OF THE WESTERN PLAINS FREE RANGE ZOO"
- "Home of the Western Plains Zoo & Lots More Too"
- "Sweetberry's Dubbo Page"
- "Dubbo - Home to the WesternPlains Zoo"
- "Dubbo - Bit of a Surprise Package"
- "The Best Zoo in Australia"
- "a few days in Dubbo NSW"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dubbo
- Hotels in Dubbo
- Transportation in Dubbo
- Restaurants in Dubbo
- Shopping in Dubbo
- Warnings and Dangers in Dubbo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dubbo
- 10 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 28 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Dubbo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dubbo
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hervey Bay Intro, 82 reviews, 101 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geelong Intro, 66 reviews, 83 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 60 reviews, 62 photos
- Killeen Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- Honolulu Intro, 41 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 40 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 49 reviews, 50 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 47 reviews, 47 photos
- Dallas Intro, 28 reviews, 29 photos
- Texas Intro, 25 reviews, 27 photos