"Sweetberry's Emerald" Emerald by Sweetberry1
Emerald Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 36 photos
Emerald is located on the Nogoa River, 263 km west of Rockhampton. (aprox 2 1/2 hours drive). It is a thriving rural centre, surrounded mainly by agricultural farming, and mining.
Established in 1879, it has slowly grown to be the major regional centre of the Central Highlands and the gateway to the Central Western district.
The Capricorn hinterland is also known for having the largest sapphire gemfields in the world.
Emerald claims that Ludwig Leichhardt was the first European in the area, and named the nearby Comet River after seeing a comet, and he inscribed the word 'Dig' on a tree by the banks of the river.
The tree is now in the Queensland Museum in Brisbane.
- Pros:Nearby Gemfields..
- Cons:Can get very hot in the summer..
- In a nutshell:Not a very appealing town.
The 4 small towns of Anakie, Willows, Sapphire and Rubyvale are all situated on the Gemfields. During my visit to the... more travel advice
Qantas Link provide daily RPT services into Emerald.. Facilities inc.. A modern passenger terminal building Kiosk... more travel advice
Sweetberry1's Related Pages
Emerald Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sweetberry's Emerald"
- "CENTRAL HIGHLANDS OF QUEENSLAND"
- "Emerald the Jump off point to the Gemfields"
- "EMERALD CENTRAL WESTERN QUEENSLAND"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Emerald
- 20 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Emerald?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Emerald
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hervey Bay Intro, 82 reviews, 101 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geelong Intro, 66 reviews, 83 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 60 reviews, 62 photos
- Killeen Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- Honolulu Intro, 41 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 40 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 49 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 47 reviews, 47 photos
- Dallas Intro, 28 reviews, 29 photos
- Texas Intro, 25 reviews, 27 photos